Lenovo Legion Y740 17" 15"

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by victorgm, Jan 30, 2019.

1. nagooro

nagooro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can someone link me to a good tutorial for undervolting? (*eg. "bob's" guide?)

2. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You don't really need a tutorial. Just get either XTU or Throttlestop, and set the core voltage and cache voltage to about -100. Run some games or benchmarks or something for a while. If it doesn't crash, lower them to -110. Rinse and repeat. If you crash, you've gone too low, so try a slightly higher number (crash at -120, try -115).

There's no risk, aside from crashing and losing any unsaved work.

Here's a guide on Throttlestop;
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

If you want to keep it simple you just click the FIVR button, enable the "adjustable voltage" checkbox and change the voltage offset, in both the core and cache (radio buttons at the top) menus. In Intel XTU you just adjust the Core voltage offset and it automatically changes the cache to match. XTU has been buggy though, so I'd suggest TS.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  3. Rhylin

Rhylin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Having had returned my 2060 nearly a month ago, I dabbled back in and got the 2070 versions at a great price. The small changes I'm noticing is backlight bleed seems to be a bit better and IDLE fan noise. I actually hear the fans humming at idle rather than not hearing anything at all with the 2060.

4. DefinityX

DefinityX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What do you consider a good price? I’ve got a lead on a 2070MQ version with 256GB for $1650. Or for another $150, I can jump up to the 500GB drive and Win 10.

I’m torn if I should pull the trigger now, or wait for 9750s to come out...

5. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any idea when the 9750 will be available for The Y740?

6. DefinityX

Reputations:
    I was researching it yesterday. I wasn't able to find anything concrete.

I messaged B&H (they have preorders up right now), and they said they didn't know any dates.
    I messaged Lenovo, they said they know they're coming, just not when.
    The best info I could get was from this page at CDW
    https://www.cdw.com/product/lenovo-...-16gb-ram-1tb-windows-10-home/5516317?pfm=srh
    They're listing it as being available in 9-11days, with an estimated arrival of 5/29.

battousai10k likes this.
  7. utkarshNS

utkarshNS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    SWIM got the Y740 2070MQ 256GB NVMe version + 3yr deport warranty for $1355 (incl. 6% tax). Now that's a steal deal.

8. DefinityX

Reputations:
    Oh yeah!! I forgot to add that my prices include the 3yr onsite AND accident protection warranties.

I know it’s not as cheap as some (like that one you mentioned!! Wow!), but if the refreshes come out with new processors, it’ll be a while before there’s ANY discount... right?

9. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does it really matter? it's 14nm process. At best your getting a slightly faster CPU and a bunch of secondary improvements such as:

keyboard
    Thermals
    webcam placement
    500Nit dolby hdr panel

overall it is pretty much the same. You make it seem like your going from a Honda Civic to a Ferrari and that's just not the case...

Furthermore MSI released their pseries machines which would be on par with the y740

Doubt it manufacturers discount based on market demand, and knowing lenovo they tend to discount things a lot.

10. DefinityX

Reputations:
    Excellent points! Thanks for slapping me back to reality. I keep getting caught chasing numbers. I'm just trying to make sure I get the most bang for the buck I'm spending, but in reality, it won't really mean much. It seems like 8750 vs 9750 differences really boil down to a teeny percentage increase in multi-core boost clock, and slightly larger, but still small boost in single core clock. Is that about it? Just making sure I'm not missing anything.

And honestly, the new Y740s are JUST the CPU bump. None of that other stuff (nor battery) are being changed... so its really small potatoes I guess.