Lenovo Legion y530 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by LanceAvion, Dec 12, 2018.

1. alex_at

alex_at Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

After lurking around for a secondary machine to my 2015 Retina MacBook Pro I recently bought a Y530 "base model" which I got for a very good price at a local dealer.

Regular price would have been 899€ for the machine, I got one for 577€ - factory sealed even.

I got the i5-8300H
    8Gb DDR4 2666mhz
    GeForce GTX1050 non-TI with 2gb vram
    1tb hdd with 16gb intel optane.

Just finished setting it up - and I’ve been positively impressed with it. Build quality, gaming performance for a 2gb non ti 1050 are better than I expected.
    Luckily I got the BOE06 screen with 300 nits of brightness.

Unfortunately I had to disable the Optane memory in the bios and switch to AHCI since I have to run Linux as secondary OS. I completely forgot how a hdd only system performs since I’ve been using a PCIe based flash device.
    On the one hand it’s impressive how optane boosts the performance - on the other hand since I had to disable optane for Linux I got the HDD only feeling again ..... quite ok, unless you do some multitasking.

Port selection is fantastic in such a thin device.
    With gaming laptops you often read thermals, hot, throttling and so on - Lenovo did a fantastic job on the Y530 in regards of thermals - I get really good temps and no throttling at all.
    Nevertheless I’m going to repaste with Kryonaut - just to get the optimum out of the cooling system.

Perfect machine for that price - there’s almost no alternative other than the Acer Nitro 5 with AMD Ryzen in that ~600€ price range.

I’ll keep you updated in the next few days,

Cheers,

Alex

Vasudev likes this.
  2. balkeet

balkeet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What are the stock gaming temperatures of y530 without UV, repaste and cooling pad? Afterburner can show live temperatures