Lenovo Legion 5 (Ryzen 7 4800H) (Geforce 1660Ti) Thermal Issue

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Phoenix, Sep 16, 2021.

1. laptopnoob678

laptopnoob678 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not sure about OP but I've re-pasted previous laptops before (mostly Dells) and I've seen fairly large improvements.

The reason I mentioned viscosity is because I thought the thinner and more easily spread paste is more likely to succumb to the pump out effect.

It should be genuine as I bought it direct from Amazon and the packaging looks legit.

I ordered some SYY 157 so I'll try that, and if I don't see any improvements I'll try some Kryonaut I have because why not.

I don't care about big improvements, I'm just annoyed that I seem to have f'd it up and wish I'd left it as it originally was

How hot does the CPU in your Legion 5 run if you have one?

2. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Repasting is useful if you're experiencing high temps and thermal throttling. If you've good temps even with the stock paste then leave it alone and just clean the fans. Repasting is a trial and error process you're not going to get it right every time. SYY-157 is a underrated thermal paste which work great for my legion 5 as i got it right this time. Make sure you use enough to cover the dye though.

3. laptopnoob678

laptopnoob678 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just repasted with SYY-157

Couldn't get it to spread at all, it just transferred back to the spreader.

Ended up putting (rather generous) lines on, and then hoping the heatsink would spread it.

After booting back up, Cinebench score of 4600+ and max temps of 85C (without the fans spinning up fully)

No thermal throttling like before either, so I'll have to see how it is longevity wise, but already a big improvement over before.

4. Spring1898

Spring1898 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have never experienced or seen this 'pump out' which I assume to mean that the paste eventually completely moves out from between the die and heatsink.
    I used to experiment with ultra thin applications of thermal paste using bare dies and heatsinks back when the theory was that too much paste would harm temps. This turned out to be false. I think the pump theory is the same.

The purpose of thermal pastes is only to make up the difference or unevenness caused in manufacturing the heatsink, torquing down, and die. Ideally there would be no interface material needed with perfectly machined surfaces. This is not practical. So a thin layer of thermal paste makes up the difference. Therefore we can assume that any imperfections will 'trap' the paste where it is needed, and any location that has perfect continuity is best with direct contact and no paste needed.

But if you have a good application, leave it be. Any excess from the application will ooze out over time with use and what is needed will stay.

My temps under standard benchmark load were about 90/79 CPU/GPU for the Legion 7 with Arctic Silver 5 (not cured)
    Same test on the 5 Pro was 90/76 - Arctic MX-4
    This is after running for 1/2 hour so all temps should be stabilized.

5900/3080 got close to 15% better performance.

EDIT
    So apparently my suspicions were not wrong on fake MX-4 paste being out there now

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    KING19 likes this.
  5. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That good to hear. It should have good longevity like normal paste so dont worry about it.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ordered some Thermalright TFX. I hear it's really good for laptops, I will apply it and post my results here.

Hopefully the TFX will solve my problem.

7. Phoenix

Reputations:
    Just wanted to update... I applied the TFX and I am now scoring 11,000+ on cinebench R23 and temp is maxing out at 96-97C.

Problem has been solved, wasn't a heatsink issue.

Do not use Grizzly Kryonaught, AS5 or Arctic MX-4 on a legion laptop.

Use SYY-157 or Thermalright TFX.

Thermalright TFX looks to perform well with low mounting pressure. Perfect for laptops!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  8. Phoenix

Reputations:
    One thing I should mention is my idle temps are unchanged between the 4 pastes but the Thermalright TFX seems to draw heat into the heatsink faster.

9. Phoenix

Reputations:
    Update on the Thermalright TFX.

The paste seems to have pumped out.

Right after repasting I was scoring 11k+ on Cinebench R23 and a few days later I'm only scoring 8,900.

Never should have taken my laptop apart the stock paste was fine... Jeeze.