Lenovo Legion 5 Pro vs MSI GP66 Leopard 11UG ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by LyiNkor, Sep 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. LyiNkor

LyiNkor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone!

I want to change my laptop and I'm hesitating between 2, they have same price 1900 euro:
    MSI GP66 Leopard
    15,6" QHD 165Hz screen with RTX 3070 graphics, i7 11800H processor, 16 DDR4 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 60 Wh.
    Lenovo Legion 5 Pro
    16" WQHD 165Hz screen with RTX 3070 graphics, Ryzen 7 5800H processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB SSD, 80Wh.

I need laptop for:
    -Programming and a lit bit for CAD. I do a lot of programming every day and sometimes CAD.
    -Gaming. I usualy play in competitive game, for me high fps is the main characteristic.

I usually work and play near a power outlet, but I got feedback that the laptop battery is an important parameter too.

Which one should I go for? Inputs are greatly appreciated.

2. atquantrandash93

atquantrandash93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Regarding the battery, or other parameters, it depends on you, the user, and how you use your machine. I used a $300 2-in-1 for 4 years of college, when people around me we're using MacBooks or XPS.

Regarding battery, if you're usually near an outlet, then it shouldn't be part of the comparison. Furthermore, using this kind of machine without an outlet significantly reduces its true capability, especially in gaming.

I love the design of the Legion 5 pro, and would pick that over the MSI. Jarrod's Tech has covered that model extensively as well, if you'd like to take that route.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

3. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I *used* to have a MSI GP75 9SE.
    It overheated and smoked the cpu and gpu.
    The warranty was not honored and I was stuck with useless plastic.
    I bought a Clevo to replace it.
    No issues with Clevo at all and it is a much nicer chassis as the MSI was a flexy junkbox in comparison.
    Food for thought.

4. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What the prices between the two laptops?

Specs wise the Legion 5 Pro is the better choice, Bigger battery, Full wattage RTX 3070, bigger SSD, and the advantage of having a MUX switch which allows you to disable optimus for better gaming performance in exchange of lower battery life.

5. LyiNkor

LyiNkor Newbie

Reputations:
    2 pc have same price, 1900 euro (I live in Europe). MSI has MUX switch too and both graphic cards have same max power of 140W.

6. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok.

I lean towards the MSI because of the i7-11800 which you gonna have somewhat better gaming performance. Also i found out that it doesnt have a USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 port which is very strange for a gaming laptop with an Intel CPU at that price range.

The Legion 5 Pro does have a bigger 1TB SSD and a bigger battery. Its up to you.

7. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Save yourself some $ and order them with the lowest specs for RAM / NVME and put your own in. The markup on those is remarkably high compared to their actual cost when adding them post purchase.

TB4 is still new enough to not be included on every laptop being shipped today. If it's important then just wait or find something that does have it.

Intel vs AMD is about equal these days other than the heat factor of AMD being higher.

Battery only matters if you're unplugged often. It's just a nice to have sort of thing.

I've had a Legion Y720 recently and they're nice machines for the most part. I haven't done MSI but, there's mixed reviews around here as noted above. Dollar for Dollar for performance components Sager / Clevo offer the same product at a lower price typically. https://www.sagernotebook.com/GeForce-RTX-3070/

$1850 15" $1899 17"
    upload_2021-9-26_15-32-7.png

The only thing sticking out is the resolution being FHD @ 144mhz vs the QHD you mentioned. I went UHD on my panel upgrade for more screen real estate but, for some things it doesn't work to your advantage to go higher res. If you did go with one of these though it's an easy upgrade for ~$150 and 30 minutes to swap the screens. Of course these can be found on e-bay as well and other places with different options added for a better price if you're into digging around for a deal.

upload_2021-9-26_15-37-27.png

They both have TB4 and dual NVME slots if you decide to run an OS drive + storage for projects / games. I run dual NVME's for a different purpose but, the speed between them when doing transfers is 1.5GB/s which is fast enough for that sort of thing and programs aren't really drive in tensive for I/O but, might be w/ your applications and in that case it's nice to have.

upload_2021-9-26_15-40-20.png

At the end of the day it comes down to preference but, if you're like most around here the first thing you'll do is sink more cash into personalized upgrades like 32GB RAM, AX210 for WIFI, dual NVME drives, etc. To put this into perspective I added 32GB @ $90, AX210 @ $25, and NVME's @ $110/ea.