Lenovo Legion 5 Pro GTX 3060 vs Legion 5 GTX 3070

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by damole, Aug 4, 2021.

1. damole

damole Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi

I was sort of set on the Legion 5 RTX 3070 for £1299 with a 1920x1080 display and then, after a discussion with a friend who is about to replace her Mac started looking at the various Macs that she was considering and, after reading the specs on the displays Macs have sent her some info on colour gamut. At that point I started thinking of the Legion Pro version with it's much brighter, higer resolution screen.

I am very happy in general with a full HD 1920x1080 resolution on a 15/16" display. I have an AOC QHD 75 Hz monitor which although from the their professional not gaming series works well enough and a lot of the time will be playing games with the laptop plugged into either a 50" or 55" 4K TV.

My question really is, as the Pro is higher resolution but has a weaker graphics card is it still a good choice for 1440p gaming or should is the non Pro a better choice because the RTX 3070 will be more beneficial for the time playing on the 4K TVs. The Pro version costs £1230 on the UK Lenovo site. Not all configurations are available here and the shipping delay also varies a lot between models from in-stock to 6 weeks.

Code:
    Legion 5 Pro System Specs: ( Edit )

Processor : AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H Processor (8 Cores / 16 Threads, 3.20 GHz, up to 4.40 GHz with Max Boost, 4 MB Cache L2 /16 MB Cache L3)
        Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
        Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
        Microsoft Productivity Software : Microsoft Office Trial
        Memory : 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200MHz SoDIMM
        Second Solid State Drive : 256 GB SSD, M.2 2242, PCIe Gen3 NVMe, TLC
        Display : 16.0" WQXGA (2560x1600) IPS, Antiglare, 500nits, Non-Touch, 165Hz, Narrow Bezel, 100% sRGB, HDR400
        Graphic Card : NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6
        Camera : 720p HD Camera
        Microphone : Array Microphone
        Color : Storm Grey
        Keyboard : Backlit White Keyboard Black English (UK)
        Wireless : Wi-Fi 6 (2x2 AX) & Bluetooth® 5.0
        Surface Treatment : Anodizing
        Palmrest : PC/ABS
        Battery : 4 cell, 80Wh
        Power Cord : 300W
        Language Pack : Publication - Polish/Portuguese/English
        Warranty : 1 Year Courier or Carry-in

2. willyg1971

willyg1971 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey there

I have the Legion 5 Ryzen 7 5800H RTX 3070 and find it to be great in all areas including performance, cooling, and display. The 165hz 1080p screen has great brightness. The colour is a bit off and requires calibration as the red is a bit off and makes white not as crisp as it should be. Once done though it is great. I have upgraded the memory to 32gb ddr4 3200 dual rank which has made a huge difference. Plays games good at 1440p at decent framerates.

3. damole

Reputations:
    Thanks. I called Lenovo in the UK and the RTX 3070 version of the Pro should come back into stock later this month. Last week a bought an Optomoa UHD38 4K projector so now I definitely want the RTX 3070 whichever model I buy.

4. damole

Reputations:
    The RTX 3070 models of the 5 Pro and 7 didn't arrive and a week ago Lenovo told me mid November so I finally decided to get the standard Legion 5 with the RTX 3070. It arrived yesterday and so far seems like a great laptop.

I have a Yoga Slim 7 14" which has the premium metal feel but this plastic Legion doesn't feel cheap to me so they make a good combo for work and play.

kojack likes this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Legion 5 Pro's screen is very bright at 100%, but it falls off a cliff shortly thereafter. It's not a nice linear progression downward like on most laptops.

Capture.JPG

6. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've got a 500 nit display https://www.panelook.com/NE156QUM-N66_BOE_15.6_LCM_overview_40776.html and usually keep it at 50% or less indoors.

Brightness is all relative to where you'll be using it. If you're in a bright environment then it's important. If you're not, then you'll want to make it easier on your eyes at a slightly lower setting. Brightness is a source of eye strain / headaches. While the adjustment graphic shows the pitfall of that particular panel it's possible to get one that does well.

upload_2021-9-26_17-2-3.png

For $150 or so the panel + cable I needed made a huge difference over what shipped with the laptop. I sifted through dozens of different panels / reviews / comparisons to whittle the field down to a final 5 or so panels to go with. I started off looking for just something better than the installed one FHD >> FHD and then decided to look into UHD instead. If you're not happy with what arrives there's always options to make it better for cheaper than paying the upgrade price through the vendor.

7. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Have you looked at the Medion X25 beast? At least you can get it and it has a full power RTX 3070 with 130W TGP...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

8. damole

Reputations:
    Sorry if it was confusing but I've now bought the Legion 5 5800H RTX 3070.

It has Samsung M471A1G44AB0-CWE RAM. I'm not really sure if this is the "fast" type or not.

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can check the RAM by downloading the ZenTimings utility. If the tRFC value is 560 or lower, you have proper x8 memory. If it's greater, then you have the slower x16 stuff.

10. damole

Reputations: