Lenovo Legion 5 and 7 (2020)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by KING19, Apr 17, 2020.

1. dglt

dglt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    if i use DDU to remove all drivers, prevent windows from installing them automatically, and install the drivers manually, after a reboot i have the g-sync menu in control panel. as soon as i install geforce experience or update the nvidia drivers again the option goes away. upload_2020-11-10_20-23-7.png

i think it gets seen as a gsync compatible display, i also think if i forced the use of an EDID from a similar freesync/gsync display via a monitor.inf edid override i could make it permanent. as long as the frame rate stays above 35-40fps it works great, below that and it starts to flicker.

seanwee likes this.
  2. dglt

dglt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. dglt

dglt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  4. dglt

dglt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    still on my original 144hz panel but i got G-Sync working on my non G-Sync panel by modifying the EDID and force loading it. link includes video clip of g-sync demo, any stutter you see is on the video only, not on my display where its smooth af!! :cool:
    https://imgur.com/a/SQWnyoD

Attached Files:

5. Tadician

Tadician Newbie

Reputations:
    Lol, G-Sync unavailable but enabled.

6. dglt

dglt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    *Unvalidated but enabled. im not sure if it shows this on all "g-sync compatible" displays but im just glad it works, on linux so far and if i have some time before my new (actual) g-sync panel gets delivered i'll try making it work in windows but the way windows handles display "drivers" (really just a signed .inf file) it makes things harder to have any control over like everything else on windows

7. Tadician

Tadician Newbie

Reputations:
    Is reaching the screen and taking it off easy?

8. dglt

dglt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i just finished replacing it, the bottom of the case does not need to be taken off, the bezel pops off and has a thin strip of reusable adhesive strip on it but comes off easily. the display is held to the lid frame solely by very strong reusable (if your careful) adhesive strips.

if you move slowly the panel will come out without breaking but it's also kind of an expected risk with these types of panels, i got mine out without breaking and im glad because it's gonna be going back in.

1. the panel has a manufacturing defect about 1/4 in. long that presents as a bright streak.
    2. the panel has the wrong EDID info showing as "CMN176E" instead of "CMN175C" its supposed to be so windows wont see it as a g-sync panel :mad:

time to look for another panel i guess.

9. kimiraikkonen

kimiraikkonen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guys, in the end, do you really recommend Legion 5 (Ryzen 4800H+1660 Ti) instead of any other model (especially crappy Asus TUF variants) for me for the stability and cool temps? Amazon was selling 999 bucks and now over 1100, changing day by day. I also saw Acer Helios 300's 2020 model really disappointing for the keyboard, and some other issues according to Jarrod'S Tech and many other reviewers unlike 2019 model which was great.

And Legion 5 appears to be a highly praised and well-refined model.

Any thoughts?

10. laptopnoob678

laptopnoob678 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does re-pasting void the warranty? Anyone know?