Lenovo Legion 5 and 7 (2020)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by KING19, Apr 17, 2020.

1. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could you monitor the GPU power draw while it's under load with hwinfo64? (Performance mode)
    To enable advanced BIOS in 7i: Click 'more options' to enter BIOS, then hold Fn, run your finger across the keyboard: Q-P, A-L, Z-M (must slide fast). Press F10, and Yes. Spam/hold F2 to enter BIOS. To enable undervolting: advanced>overclocking performance menu>enable overclocking feature>enable XTU interface

Jimbo Mahoney, seanwee and Kalen like this.
  2. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for this. I knew up until that point but am not sure about what value to actually use in the multitude of options... Is it Processor, GT, Ring or Uncore?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

3. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    While playing GTA V for 18 minutes on Performance mode. GPU temps stays in the 60s when gaming.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  4. Jimbo Mahoney

Jimbo Mahoney Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does that work for Legion 5?

I'm just ordered a 15IMH05H (i5-10300H / RTX2060), but I'm concerned about the following:

1) Intel undervolt lock.
    2) RTX TDP limited to 80W.

I'd be VERY keen to remove both of these, but I gather that unlocking / bypassing the TDP on the RTX is extremely difficult and either involves a BIOS mod (and I've already seen someone brick theirs) or a shunt mod...

EDIT - I found another Lenovo "secret" keypress sequence too:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkC...OS-Setup-on-ThinkCentre-M720-Tiny/m-p/5015557

EDIT2 - Hah, and another one!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ced-BIOS-Settings-in-Ideapad-S540/m-p/5027364

EDIT3 - and another...

"i unlocked advance options pressing fn + o + d just right after reboot. Just before legion logo appears, it will reboot again, you will see that your keyboard's light turn on and then turn off twice, release the keys and then you'll see something like this (see attached). Then press f2 to enter bios and you gonna have advance options unlocked"

EDIT4 - and another...

"Just enter the BIOS normal (pressing F2 at boot up) then press Fn+TAB, then Fn+ASDFGH, then Fn+O, after that F10 (save and exit). Then the laptop will restart into debug mode, just follow on screen instructions to enter the unlocked BIOS. Remember that unlocking the hidden features doesnt unlock the BIOS permanently. You have to do this everytime you want to acces the BIOS hidden features. Good luck !"

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    seanwee likes this.
  5. Jimbo Mahoney

Reputations:
  6. Jimbo Mahoney

Reputations:
    OK, so I can get the debug info to appear by holding Fn + O + D, after which I can enter the BIOS by pressing F2, but there are very few (if any) additional options, which makes me think there is no advanced BIOS for this laptop.

XTU disabled. :(

Will see if I can enable XTU with BIOS mod...

7. Jimbo Mahoney

Reputations:
  8. Jimbo Mahoney

Reputations:
    Boom! 115W MSI VBIOS working on Legion 5!

Sure, nvflash complains that the subsystem ID is wrong, but because the main bit is the same (1F15), overriding subsystem ID mismatch with -6 works.

Previous boost limit was 1200 MHz (GPUZ). Actual boost limit was around 1600 Mhz before hitting power limit.

After flash, boost limit is 1560 Mhz (GPUZ). Actual boost limit is now around 1860 Mhz before power limit hit.

Now to tinker with custom voltage curves...

dglt and seanwee like this.
  9. Jimbo Mahoney

Reputations:
    Now stable @ 1950 MHz core (925 mV, custom curve), +500MHz memory.

EDIT - Actually, it's only benchmark stable @ 1950.

Game stable @ 1905.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    dglt, custom90gt and seanwee like this.
  10. dglt

dglt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    are you able to use discrete mode with those vbios? of all the 115w vbios i tested, none worked in discrete and any gains i seen with the 115w vbios were lost by having to use optimus.

once i get my legion 5 back i was planning on trying the 115w i heard was coming on a newer legion 5/7 model, that or shunt mod.

EDIT: if you have not tried discrete mode yet with those vbios, i suggest you memorize the key presses to get into bios and switch back to hybrid because the screen will be black and you'll need to do it blindly (i found out the hard way).