Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. ancef

ancef Newbie

Reputations:
    https://videocardz.com/newz/lenovo-...s-liquid-metal-and-1250-nits-mini-led-display

New Legion 7i on the horizon - or maybe this is China exclusive.

Fancy new mini-LED screen - probably 2.5K+ 16:10 165hz 1250 nits (same as Acer Predator Triton 500 SE's mini-LED screen if I had to guess) and LM on the CPU (yes!) - but only 11800H (no! but seems to be a China thing, they don't have 11980HK)

Wish it was 4k / 3080 super / Alder Lake instead though.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Kalen and Atma like this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I thought Lenovo wasn't going to do liquid metal because of potential customer support issues.

3. ancef

ancef Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe they've optimized LM application in their manufacturing, like ASUS did (which had its own initial issues). I'm guessing they use a foam barrier or something to prevent defects

4. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's what they said originally, but they have these new thermal modules for sale a couple of months ago and have discontinued the original copper modules. Nickel plated cpu sink. I ordered one. Supposed to ship November 20.

[​IMG]

jlp0209, saturnotaku and ancef like this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Despite there being no visible damage or structural problems with my Legion 5, I decided to be a nerd and order a new bottom panel from AliExpress.

Atma likes this.
  6. TDO

TDO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got the 5i Pro and want to use it with my 2 external screens.
    Connected via USB-C and DP chaining.

When I connect the USB-C cable only the chained monitor is working, to get the directly connected monitor to work I have to close the lid.

Does the 5i Pro not support 3 screens at the same time or do I miss some setting?

With my work laptop this setup is working fine - internal screen and the 2 external screens at the same time.

7. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why did you order a new one? Do you prefer a totally clean / blank bottom panel without the serial number?

8. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Yeah…so…if anyone is thinking of flashing a different vbios to the Legion 7i…don’t do it. Tried it for kicks, laptop is seriously borked. Won’t boot to bios / no splash screen but I know Windows starts because I hear the sound. The keys work. Tried external monitor, nothing. Removed battery and disconnected CMOS battery, no dice. I’ve never bricked a laptop or desktop before, not fun. If anyone has a solution I’m all ears, obviously would prefer to keep this one if I can.

Lenovo is sending a replacement unit regardless. I’m never tinkering with any laptop ever again! Lesson learned.

9. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What vbios did you flash it with?

10. jlp0209

Reputations:
    An Acer vbios that I tried before with a different 3080 laptop, I think it was from a shunt mod someone did and I wanted to see if it ran even higher than 165w on the L7. So stupid.