Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Faster than a Threadripper 1950 on a highly parallel load. Impressive.

MagillaGorilla likes this.
  2. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thoroughly impressed with Intel and Lenovo.

3. Bestial2008

Bestial2008 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thx man, I will - tomorrow is the big day of arrival, haha!

Yes that’s what I meant, the Corsair iCue app. Did you undervolt yours? I’ve never done that, is there a step by step guide somewhere to do that?

4. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good luck! Yes I use Intel XTU. It didn't work for me with Windows 11 so I installed Windows 10. You simply adjust the CPU voltage by millivolt within XTU and that's it. You can also adjust the core clock to max 4.6ghz on all cores. I use a -.070v (or -70 mV) undervolt along with clock speed of 4.6ghz on all 8 cores. Pretty incredible.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/overclocking-xtu-guide.html

Bestial2008 likes this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My RX 6600M L5 came with the Realtek WiFi card, which is hot garbage. Ordered an Intel AX200 (apparently the AX201 can have problems running on non-Intel systems), which should be here tomorrow. I'll use that opportunity to swap out the RAM for my lower tRFC set.

Papusan and jlp0209 like this.
  6. Iceman82

Iceman82 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've had the chance to compare 2 Legion5Pro laptops. Ryzen 7 5800H, 32GB, 1TB, RTX3070. The first one had a left speaker that didn't work. Lenovo told me I could keep it until they shipped out a replacement. Apparently there was no rush getting the first back as I'm actually having to chase them to come pick it up, and in the meantime I've done some testing. I've noticed performance differences due to variations in components

Original:
    Micron System RAM: 2x 8ATF2G64HZ-3G2E2 16GB SR
    (tRFC (ns) 350, tRFC 560, tRFC2 416, tRFC4 256)
    Micron Video RAM
    Network Adapter Realtek RTL8852AE

Replacement:
    Samsung System RAM: 2x M471A2G43AB2-CWE 16GB SR
    (tRFC (ns) 550, tRFC 880, tRFC2 560, tRFC4 416)
    Samsung Video RAM
    Network Adapter MediaTek MT7921

Same Disk Drive WDC PC SN730 SDBPNTY-1T00-1101 (1024 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)

After running a bunch of benchmarks and tests (attempted to record it here), including swapping the System RAM between the machines, I'm thinking the following:
    Silicon Lottery was better on the original 5800H
    Micron System RAM is better than Samsung
    Samsung Video RAM is better than Micron (or other GPU factor is better on the 2nd machine)

Also
    SSD on 2nd machine seems better, but I've stored more on the 1st, so maybe that's a factor.

Let me know if you see different conclusions based on the spreadsheet of results.

MediaTek MT7921 was really flaky at first and I was worried I had 2 dud laptops in a row, but it's come good. I haven't really known how to do any testing on the Wi-Fi adapters. Any advice on which is better would be great.

I can swap RAM, SSD, Wi-Fi modules, and want to keep the best and put the worst in the original laptop when I have to send it back on Monday.

What would you do?

Atma likes this.
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Got my upgrade parts installed this afternoon. The AX200 just about doubled my downstream speeds while the lower latency RAM modules allowed me to break the 13,000 mark in Cinebench - a gain of nearly 2000 points. Another thing I've noticed is that the palm rejection is way better on this unit than on any previous Legion laptop I've owned or sampled. Not sure if this was due to a design, driver, or firmware change, but I can actually enjoy typing on this thing now that the cursor isn't moving at random.

The only dark specter to haunt this upgrade experience was due to my own stupidity. Instead of letting my plastic pry tool go around the perimeter of the laptop when removing the bottom panel, I only did it about halfway and tried to lift up on it, which caused two of the plastic tabs to snap clean off. Fortunately, the pieces fell right out. From what I can tell, the damage is not visible from the outside, nor has it compromised the structural integrity of the laptop.

So far, I'm quite happy with the overall package, especially given what I paid. It's too bad the stock RAM and WiFi card are holding it back so much.

jlp0209 and Atma like this.
  8. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  9. Bestial2008

Bestial2008 Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks!

10. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: