Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. ancef

ancef Newbie

Reputations:
    There is an advanced BIOS that was given out by a Lenovo rep named Ben on the official Legion discord, but several people tried it and bricked their computers after trying to OC their ram (they likely played with other settings) - something about a flaw in the BIOS healing step. Afaik several of those people had to get their units replaced or repaired. I would only pursue this route if you are prepared for this outcome . . . otherwise I don't think anyone has found a key combo to unlock advanced BIOS

jlp0209 likes this.
  2. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, considering that it took 4 tries to get a defect free screen I would be very mad at myself for bricking it. I’m happy with the current performance, with CPU undervolt + OC and GPU OC. I’m consistently getting 12,000+ for CPU and 13,200 graphics in Timespy. I had a weird bug where my CPU would go down to 2.5ghz, resolved by uninstalling / reinstalling Timespy. Gaming temps are also fantastic so far.

3. Bestial2008

Bestial2008 Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow!

Well after a lot of research & nailing it down to 4 choices (Alienware x17, msi ge76 raider, Asus Zephyrus GX703HS & the Legion 7i), I just pulled the trigger on this model:

Legion 7i Gen 6 Intel Laptop, 16" i7-11800H RTX 3080 - it’ll be my first laptop ever (always used desktops before).

I placed the order this morning & it’s already shipped (supposed to get here Friday), so I’m very excited & your post certainly gives me ease of mind in terms of selecting this brand.

Any recommendations as to what to do first, etc (Been reading a bit of the battery app thing with some people uninstalling it)?

Thanks!

ringoffire, jlp0209 and adampk17 like this.
  4. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lenovo Vantage? I’d say no to uninstalling it. It does several handy things imo.

Bestial2008, saturnotaku and Kalen like this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    All-AMD Legion 5 is in the house. Still working through the out-of-the-box setup, but I have a few initial impressions. Note the model I have is the $1386 special referenced earlier in this thread: 1) The panel is about perfect with no noticeable backlight bleed. 2) The 32 GB of RAM is the slower x16, tRFC 880 variety with 4 GB reserved for the iGPU. Assuming I keep the laptop past its return date, I'm going to swap it out for the faster x8 Mushkin Essentials kit I used with my former Legion 5 Pro. 3) SSDs are a pair of 1 TB SK Hynix PC711 not running in a RAID configuration. 4) Battery is the lower capacity 60Wh. Haven't measured its life yet, but I can't imagine it will be greater than 3-4 hours even doing modest tasks using only the iGPU. 5) Keyboard is white backlit, so the only customization available is between two levels of brightness with Fn+spacebar. 6) There is some fan whistle under load, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Ryzen 7+RTX 3060 L5 I returned to MicroCenter a couple weeks ago. 7) Cinebench R23 score is 11,241 in Performance Mode with CPU temps spiking to a maximum of 92C as each rendering pass starts during the 10-minute benchmark loop. It then settles down to around 86-87C with all-core clock frequencies sitting just shy of 4.0 GHz.

While I'll need to live with it for at least a few days before deciding whether or not to keep it, it's looking good so far.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Kalen likes this.
  6. jlp0209

Reputations:
    I have the same model, you’ll love it. Definitely don’t uninstall Lenovo Vantage, it’s very useful. Do uninstall Corsair iCue, that’s the battery hog.

If you plan to undervolt the CPU I had a heck of a time trying in Windows 11, couldn’t do it. Installed Windows 10 and all is well. Post your impressions when you receive it, enjoy!

Glad you’re having a good experience so far, hopefully it is a keeper. What’s your next plan if it doesn’t work out?

Bestial2008 and saturnotaku like this.
  7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    MicroCenter took back the Vector Pro without hassle, though it was only the second laptop I've returned there, the other being the aforementioned RTX 3060 Legion 5. Should the RX 6600 model not work out, I'll probably order another L5 Pro with a 3070 when it goes on sale at Lenovo direct. I've never been able to catch the cheap Walmart version when it pops up on their website, and I've struck out on the brick-and-mortar front with at least 20 different stores in three states. Only one even had it as a display model, which they refused to sell.

Now that I think about it, this is my first all-AMD computer in nearly two decades. The last one was a desktop with an Athlon 64 CPU and ATI Radeon 9800 XT GPU. I only remember it because that was the configuration I used to play the original FarCry back in the day. Now I'll need to spend some time familiarizing myself with the AMD control panel and its myriad of options. FreeSync was enabled out of the box on the built-in display, but I needed to toggle it for my external monitor. One minor note: Hybrid mode was disabled out of the box, but then became enabled by default after a BIOS update.

jlp0209 likes this.
  8. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Finally completed a full run of Cinebench at 5.0Ghz All-Core!

[​IMG]

Really amazed with this 16" Monster of a Machine.

Atma, kahuna0k, jlp0209 and 2 others like this.
  9. jlp0209

Reputations:
    That Walmart deal never shows up for me. I got tired of waiting for the CDW deal as well as there was no timeline, canceled that awhile ago.

You should be OK then re: Microcenter. I returned several bad monitors maybe 4+ years ago (Acer / Asus high refresh monitors with crappy AUO panels w/ dead pixels, hairs, eye lashes, dust, all under the screens, terrible BLB). Spoke with a store manager years ago about it because she was "concerned" about the returns. When I explained the issues in detail and offered objective evidence she was fine. I offered to pay all shipping and even re-stocking fees for the returns at Microcenter because it really wasn't their fault and I strongly support their stores / really want them all to do well. She said no way, not necessary. Very cool.

Fast forward to a few months ago, the cashier saw the history on top of my returned Legion 5 (x2) and said "wow you must have really bad luck with screens" and that was it.

How's the heat on this L5? I really dislike inability to undervolt the AMD CPU on these laptops, not to mention the sleep issue that still persists on my Vector Pro after a driver update. Is sleep an issue on your L5? It was a fun 2-3 years aboard the mobile AMD bandwagon but I'm done and back on Intel.

10. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    There was one day where I saw the Walmart laptops were available, but by the time I got to the checkout process it was too late.

Thermals on the all AMD model are much better than on the 3060 L5 I returned, though they still don't quite match the amazing results I got with my old L5 Pro. Idle temps for the 6600M in Balanced Mode are in the low-mid 40s on the CPU and upper 30s on the GPU. I edited Cinebench CPU temps into my previous first impressions post. The GPU peaks in the low 70s in Furmark. It also sleeps perfectly.

jlp0209 likes this.