Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Finally, finally received a Legion 7i with a perfect screen. Only took 4 tries, ridiculous. Now on to the fun stuff re: CPU and GPU voltage and OC.

Atma likes this.
  2. Patrck_744

Patrck_744 Burgers!

Reputations:
    This thread will give you most of the info about the RAM:

https://old.reddit.com/r/AMDLaptops..._ram_will_work_in_your_new_ryzen_4000_laptop/

It says Ryzen 4XXX on the title but most of it carries over to the 5XXX cpus.

3. jlp0209

Reputations:
    I'm running into the same issue with W11. I've disabled core isolation in security settings and still get the "unable to start" error when starting up XTU. Would you mind sharing what other steps, if any, you did? I really don't want to wipe the drive and go back to W10 if I can avoid it.

-Edit- went back to Windows 10, XTU works perfectly. The downgrade was surprisingly easy for those who received Legion 7i's with Windows 11 installed. I downloaded the W10 installation media and just ran the tool, selected "keep nothing" and it worked. There was even a folder containing all of the Lenovo drivers which I didn't expect. Installed Vantage, up and running. Will hold off on Windows 11 for time being.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Unstoppable36SG likes this.
  4. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Here is my run at Timespy with a GPU OC of +150/+500 and CPU 8-core OC set to 4.5ghz in XTU utility. I have an undervolt of -.020 so far. How do you guys get such high graphics scores out of your 3080s (i.e., 13,500+)?

upload_2021-10-18_22-4-25.png

5. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @jlp0209 Curios. When and where did you order your 7i? I just want to gauge an estimate since Lenovo OVP ETAs have changed TWICE for me now, each slipping further than the last.

6. jlp0209

Reputations:
    I ordered through the Lenovo site (U.S.) , the pre-built i7 11800 / 3080 is still in stock. It shipped the day after I placed the order.

GMLP likes this.
  7. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Swapped stock single rank RAM with dual rank Kingston RAM, also was able to maintain a 4.6ghz frequency on all 8 cores using XTU. Bumped up my Timespy scores a bit! This laptop is very impressive.

13,016 overall, 13,210 graphics, 12,021 CPU.

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/23655708

8. ancef

ancef Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice scores. Note that there is some variability with Time Spy runs which you may observe after many repeated runs (anecdotally seems to be in the range of +/- 200 Time Spy Graphics). The following has been passed on by @MagillaGorilla (who scored >14k Time Spy Graphics on an L7i 3080) to me several weeks ago:

"Nothing too crazy.. I have repasted.. was on Kryonaut, now on KPX.

To start, I always head to the BIOS.
    - Discrete Graphics Mode
    - Advanced Graphics OC, Max it to 150 and 300. (We end up overriding this with Afterburner any way)
    - With Advanced BIOS, look for “ASPM” in either Pcie or DMI sections (I forget and am away) and disable it.. my understanding is it is related to GPU Power management..

The rest is in the OS..
    - Vantage Perf Mode
    - Nvidia panel: gsync + vsync off, triple buff off, prefer max performance mode, antialiasing and filtering off..
    - Afterburner, set core to +180 sometimes I do 210 (it ends up downclocking no matter what)
    - Set Mem to +1200-1600 I set my offsets, then open vfcurve and lock at 875-900mv and a straight line after that point

For better cooling, I use Legion Fan Control and lock it betweeen 75-85 If you have a cold ambient temp, you’ll get even higher scores

Other than that, it’s silicon lottery"

Besides the advanced BIOS suggestion, I have followed this and done vfcurve testing over the last few weeks. The best seemingly stable (in Time Spy, i.e., no artifacts seen so far) setting I've eked out is a +150 core offset and +500 mem offset with 1890 mhz @ 881 mv. My CPU is core uv -0.04 with no cache uv and oc similar to yours with a single core on 5.0 ghz. I have some crappy mem latency on gear 2 with a dual rank 32gb crucial set so I wonder if I will get a higher cpu score with a single rank 32 gb set on gear 1, but other than that I am pretty pleased. It may be possible to oc higher on core for my gpu, but it seems incredibly sensitive to that and usually freezes Time Spy requiring a hard reboot.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/23663114

The actual stable setting in games is more like +105-120/+500, a locked voltage near 900mv, with same CPU settings which nets me about ~13300-13500 on Time Spy graphics, but maybe I'll test stability a little bit more with this new score (or more likely at +135).

Hope this is helpful.

jlp0209 and Petrov like this.
  9. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Very helpful, gave you +rep. I can't access the advanced bios for the life of me. I tried sliding my fingers over all of the rows of letters as per prior instructions, and also tried the FN+R, FN+N method, neither of these ways worked. Once in the advanced bios, you are able to edit the ASPM setting? This is likely the culprit, would be huge if I can disable it. Or do you need the custom advanced bios that is being shared on that discord?

Edit- signed up for the private discord discussions, excited to try out the fan control utility.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    ancef likes this.
  10. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New BIOS Update H1CN35WW. Any noticeable changes? Still no Advanced BIOS per the Change log it seems:(