Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Some game benchmarks for the new all-AMD Legion 5:

It looks like the addition of a MUX really helps performance here as in some cases it's approaching the RX 6700M. I decided to take a chance on one since Lenovo had some stock available for immediate shipping. They're running a discount coupon as well, so I got the model with 32 GB of RAM, 1 TB SSD, and Windows 10 Pro(!) for less than $1,500 out the door. Factor in an extra 6% Rakuten cash back, and this could shape up to be a great value, assuming the fan noise and thermals are reasonably well controlled.

Atma, KING19 and jlp0209 like this.
  2. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good luck, hope it ends up being a keeper for you. Watching video now, thanks for linking.

3. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I have an Asus G513 5800H/3060 in my basement that I bought at Walmart for $1,299. I'm probably going to take it back, though, as I've had about as much luck with that brand as you've had with Lenovo, and the box is still sealed.

4. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    did it scratch the bottom?

5. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not at all. As long as you're careful it is fine.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Nice sale price. I hope it does not have fan whistle as bad as the one I had. Also the timings on the stock Samsung 32GB were still worse than aftermarket memory.

I still like the Tongfang more than the Legion 5 base model even if its more expensive. It is tough to give up the better build quality and fan noise. 17 inch 2560x1440 is also easier for me to use at 100% scaling compared to 16 inch 2560x1600 on the Legion 5 Pro.

7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I would be keeping the Vector Pro, but it suffers from the same problems with fan profiles that I've encountered with other Tongfang laptops. When the CPU hits 50C, it kicks the fan on, runs for 2 seconds until the temperature drops below it, then shuts it off. Lather, rinse repeat. This could be easily corrected by allowing users to run the fans at all times, but you can't set a minimum speed above 0% at the lowest temperature in the control center. I'm assuming it would require a firmware update, but I wouldn't count on Maingear to provide one. Going the other way and keeping the fans idle until the CPU hits a higher temperature isn't an option either because the same thing happens, plus the deck gets Razer Blade warm.

I just double checked, and apparently the RX 6600M Legion 5 I ordered comes with 2 TB of storage, not 1. Assuming this wasn't an error and my order actually gets fulfilled, this could potentially be the best deal on a gaming laptop in history.

8. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That a steal there, its down to $1385 on lenovo's site.

It comes with 2TB SSD, 32GB of RAM and Windows 10 Pro. Sadly it comes with the 60WH battery though.

9. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Gotta pay sales tax so it works out to a bit less than $1500 OTD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea i know, It still a steal

It'll probably be sold out by tommorrow lol