Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yet another reason to avoid that pile of digital garbage.

Papusan and alaskajoel like this.
  2. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It’s different and it’s moved some cheese but I really do not find Windows 11 to be bug ridden or hard to use. I rather enjoy it to be honest.

MagillaGorilla and Kalen like this.
  3. Unstoppable36SG

Unstoppable36SG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I like Windows 11 too. It's even more relevant to this topic because L5P and L7 have HDR screens and Windows 11 has Auto HDR, the same that's on X1 X :)

It look wonderful in all of the games I've played, I notice the difference. Even the desktop looks prettier

4. jp7152

jp7152 Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't understand the HDR on the Legion 7. It's not OLED, doesn't have a high colour gamut and does not have local dimming.

I know you can turn on HDR but just wondering what it will actually do? Maybe more separation between brightest and darkest parts of the image?

Anyone can explain it for me?

Kalen likes this.
  5. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's minimum-required spec HDR 400 (VESA DisplayHDR 400). HDR purists and enthusiasts don't even take it seriously to be honest as a screen needs to be at least 400nit max brightness to call itself "HDR" according to VESA standard, but that standard is arguably set quite low. Like you said, it's neither OLED nor a FALD-capable LED LCD. Until the current supply chain madness and shortage is over don't expect fancy TV and monitor techs to trickle down to laptop screens anytime soon.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  6. jp7152

jp7152 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the explanation. So what would be the difference between using the display in HDR vs SDR?

I can see the colour profile I have loaded gets disabled when I enable hdr (which seems to throw off the white balance significantly) but can't really see any other changes.

7. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Take a read here. Basically without zonal control the whole screen has a glorified brightness adjuster.
    https://gekbuzz.com/hdr10-vs-hdr400/#HDR10_vs_HDR400_What_are_the_Differences

8. Unstoppable36SG

Unstoppable36SG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I still haven't found an answer to the 65w debate in the case with the 11980HK inside the Legion 7i. Is something wrong with mine that the CPU has the TDP set at 45W? Because the K i9 is listed as having 65W tdp. After the boost window (turbo time limit) expires (max is 128 seconds in XTU and unlimited in ThrottleStop, but it doesn't apply), my CPU sits at 45W during gaming.

Also, the CPU is meant to have a base 3.3ghz. But when I disable Turbo boost in ThrottleStop, it can't go higher than 2.5ghz.

Having the 65w TDP as permanent/sustained would have been great, as it meant 4.5-4.7ghz could be sustained during gaming with temps below 85 C.

UPDATE: After having read many times of the "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" in TS, I understood how to use it and now I'm running it with no PL. While gaming, currently I can have it at 4.8ghz all core at -55.7 mV Core and Cache undervolt. It runs great and give me the necessary cpu power to finally play the CPU killer GTA IV, but it sits around 85 C for this and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  9. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ordered the Legion 5 Gen 6 AMD (17") and I read that the panel has 7ms latency -.-
    Anyone have it hear and can confirm that. Also worried the 5800h doesn't perform as well as the 11800h in single core. The main title I play is COD and Warzone.

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    According to the Jarrod's Tech review, response time for L7's panel is around 7.8ms with overdrive off and a bit less than 5ms with it on - this setting is configurable via the Lenovo Vantage software. Depending on the game and graphics settings you choose, Intel will be faster than AMD by about 3-7% at 1440p and 5-15% at 1080p.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.