Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Maybe one of the three fan suppliers that Lenovo uses (DELTA, FCN, AVC) does not have this issue at all or as bad.

alaskajoel likes this.
  2. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I presume we still haven't got Advanced BIOS for 2021 machines yet to do permanent undervolting, seeing that the latest BIOS on Lenovo site is still from August?

Question for longtime Legion users with Advanced BIOS. Does Lenovo allow users to set limited charge of the battery to lengthen its lifespan? I'm coming over from the Clevo side and Prema BIOS has spoiled us rotten. I intentionally set my Clevo to charge to maximum 80% capacity, seeing that it is meaningless to use battery on a DTR other than serving as a portable UPS.

3. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 2021 Legion allows you to set that battery behavior in software.

4. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good to know. Does it mean you have to keep the software running at all times/at startup? Baking it into BIOS as a permanent sticky setting seems way better, especially when you want to declutter bloatware from your machine.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You change the setting within the Vantage software, and it sticks between reboots without needing to run in the background. Bear in mind, there aren't multiple charge level presets like on Asus or MSI laptops, nor is there the even more granular control like you have with Dell. With Lenovo, it's one option that limits the battery to a maximum of 60%.

6. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Having the option in the BIOS would be a nice addition but I don’t see the Lenovo Vantage software as bloatware. It offers a few handy settings.

GMLP likes this.
  7. jp7152

jp7152 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone with the Intel model have Far Cry 6 and be willing to run some. Benchmarks?

I wanted to compare the cpu bottle necking. It seems pretty severe! Strangely the actual game is quite smooth but was interested to see what results the Intel machine will get.

Running on 5800h/3080 here are my results. The settings are 720p with various detail settings.

Built in benchmark

Average / Low
    101/80 Low preset
    92/57 Medium preset
    87/50 High preset
    81/44 Ultra preset
    71/37 Ultra preset with dxr reflections
    75/40 Ultra preset with dxr shadows
    66/36 Ultra preset with dxr shadows and reflections

8. Unstoppable36SG

Unstoppable36SG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Indeed, we still don't have the Advanced BIOS. But still, others with Legion 7 w/ 11980HK have managed to undervolt it, whilist it doesn't work to me.

Also, I would really love to have sustained boosts of 4.5ghz+ for longer than 2 minutes in games, which only takes around 60-70w at 79 C. After "Turbo Boost Power Time Window" value of 128 seconds expires, it reverts to the 45-50w and it can only sit between 4.0-4.2ghz. Can something be done about this without the advanced bios?

9. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haha, so you caved and tried out the Vector Pro! Glad you are enjoying it so far, it really is a nice machine. I agree the fans are very quiet under load and the Maingear Node utility is very functional. I have the fans completely off until the CPU exceeds 65 degrees which is great for office and internet use.

My 3rd Legion 7i should arrive on Wednesday so we'll see if that one has screen defects. Lenovo CS is fantastic, they sent out a replacement the same day I contacted them about the defective laptop. If this one doesn't work out I will call it a day and keep the Vector Pro.

saturnotaku likes this.
  10. Unstoppable36SG

Unstoppable36SG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Fixed! This is also for my previous post. I managed to finally apply undervolting values by disabling Core Isolation in Windows Security. Windows 11 was the problem I think