Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah its too good for the price and i would buy it if i need a new laptop

Since its the 17" inch version you'll get a built in SD card reader which the 15" models lack :p

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I picked up a non-Pro L5 tonight that had Windows 11 pre-installed. My thinking was that it would be from a later batch and thus have a lower risk for quality control problems. Signs were good at first. It was tight, yet creak free with zero dead/stuck pixels on the display. Despite likely having the same mechanisms as the Pro, the trackpad on the standard model felt far superior. Lastly, the unit I purchased came with x8, low tRFC RAM out of the box. That all said, I'm still going to return it first thing tomorrow morning for two reasons: 1) Windows 11 is a disaster. It's not intuitive, bugged to heck and back, and I forgot that the Home edition requires a MS account to use. I have one but I'd obviously rather employ a local account. 2) The fan curves were not nearly as well tuned as they were on my 5 Pro. It seems when the CPU would reach 45-48C, the fan would kick on. Of course, merely opening a program or Explorer window would cause temperatures to spike temporarily, but it would be just enough to start the fans. I'd rather Lenovo just kept them running all the time like they did with the 5 Pro. This could be remedied with a BIOS update, but mine came with the latest available.

To be completely honest, I really wanted to try the Legion Slim 7. Best Buy stocks one with the same display as the non-Pro Legion 5 and RTX 3060 "Max-Q" for $1500. I think I managed to grab the last one in the area, and it's at a location not too far from MicroCenter, so I'll swing by there. If the Slim doesn't work out, I'm going to need to re-evaluate my options.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Did your non-Pro L5 have any issues with fan whistle noise? The 5800H + 6600M L5 has it pretty bad. I tried taping off the vents as some have suggested and its still present.

The Legion Slim 7 looks nice. The bottom panels appears to have a less restricting airflow design so hopefully no whistling noises. The specs online also say glass trackpad so hopefully the build quality is overall more premium than the L5P without the headache of iCue.

4. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope most people are ordering direct from Lenovo and using codes and Rakuten when they are on sale (BF coming up soon). Much better sales that way.

Labour Day Sale I picked up my Legion 7i for $1889 CAD (~1500 USD) altogether after taxes and Rakuten 15% rebate.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

5. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    The L5 did have fan whistle, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the Eluktronics Mech-15 G3 I just sent back (for that issue among other things). The Slim 7 does in fact use iCue for its RGB, so that would have to be disabled or uninstalled. Unfortunately the Best Buy store in question did not have the laptop in stock despite the website indicating otherwise so they cancelled the pickup order.

6. Spring1898

Spring1898 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is your price range? Or what kind of use case?

Timing-wise you are moving toward a tight spot, as laptops with the CPU refreshes are going to be revealed in 5 months or less. So that will mean poor supply leading into poor supply. I don't think the laptop GPUs will experience the smaller manufacturing process refresh the desktops may. Next gen graphics will probably be released this time next year so <1.5 years before full laptop GPU refresh with likely similar poor supply.

Performance upgrades are likely going to be notable again this time around so there is going to be a lot of demand for the new laptops.

EDIT:
    The one issue you are having with the windows is rectifiable with a $30 windows key. The fan issue less resolvable. So it depends on how much more effort you want to put into it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Kalen likes this.
  7. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Side question, where do you get a $30 windows pro key?

8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Ideally, I wanted to spend $1500 or less, but because I'm an impulsive SOB I exchanged the Legion 5 for a Maingear Vector Pro (same chassis as the Eluktronics MAX 15) with an Intel CPU and RTX 3070 for $1800. So far it's proving to be the best Tongfang-based laptop I've used. The screen was excellent out of the box with only a small amount of backlight bleed and no dead pixels, which were two of the reasons I returned a Mech-15 G3. The fans are much quieter and do not whine at all under load; this was another strike against both the G3 and Legion 5. It also runs cooler than the Legion, all while weighing significantly less.

The only thing I miss is USB-C charging, which is a major oversight on an otherwise light and portable gaming laptop. Unless something drastic comes up, the Vector is going to be worth hanging onto until Alder Lake-M and RTX 4000 come out. Hopefully also by then Microsoft will have worked out most of Windows 11's more egregious problems. The need for an account to even start using the OS was the least of my issues with it, none of which to this point can be fixed by switching to Pro.

Reddit or eBay. The keys are gray market, but in the half dozen or so I've bought from the MicrosoftSoftwareSwap subreddit I've only had one that was bad, which the seller replaced right away.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    jlp0209 and adampk17 like this.
  9. Unstoppable36SG

Unstoppable36SG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Found this thread today after having the Legion 7i for a few days. 11980HK, RTX 3080, 32gb, 1tb ssd for around 3157 usd (used a crypto card so got -2% off)

I got it in time to get W11 installed on it after it reached GA on 5 oct. It's running great and I will keep it.

But I have a problem with undervolting, no undervolt seems to apply really. In ThrottleStop it surely doesn't apply as the selected undervolt doesn't appear on the right side as offsets. And XTU doesn't seem to work either, as I applied -100mV and the Core voltage remained the same.

This is with the latest bios installed and it's still happening after resetting the bios settings (F9 and then F10 in settings). Is anyone else having this issue? Everywhere I went online, people were undervolting this with XTU and it worked

10. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A family member has one of these and it has substantially worse whistle than the 5 Pro or the 17" L5 to my ear. I don't understand why because it replaced a L5 1660ti from last year and they look and feel nearly identical otherwise.

saturnotaku likes this.