Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why are you returning the Mech-15? I have the equivalent to the MAX-15, while it's great there are little issues. The major one is that the laptop 9 times out of 10 will not sleep when I want it to, I'll need to fully shut down. Happened with my old Asus G14 as well, likely an AMD issue. I'm Intel all the way again for the time being, for a variety of reasons. Eagerly await delivery of the 7i tomorrow.

2. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone else installed Windows 11 yet? I have and I like it.

The only issue I have is that the Alt mode for the F keys isn’t working. I need to reinstall some software maybe.

Atma likes this.
  3. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got it 2 or 3 weeks ago when I joined windows insiders for the beta. I like it. Only problem is with Bitdefender. If I leave the firewall on sometimes I get 'can't connect to server' on random webpages. Bitdefender support told me it was fixed now. Not.

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The sleep issue is likely a bad driver causing modern standby to fail. Luckily all of the legion laptops use S3 instead, so they generally work ok, AMD included.

jlp0209 and saturnotaku like this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The sleep issue is one of them. The screen on mine has horrible backlight bleed and a stuck green pixel right in the middle; the fans have a high-pitched whine even under moderate load; and the laptop lacks USB-C charging. The latter point I knew going in, but not having it made me realize how much I actually used it with my Legion 5 Pro. I'm probably going to grab one of the non-Pro L5 models that's on sale for $1,299 from MicroCenter. I can't justify having a $2,000+ laptop when I've been using my M1 MacBook Air so much.

6. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear, you likely got a lemon. The fans on mine are fine and low pitched, and screen is actually good. Total lottery. I went through two L5s from Microcenter both had dead pixels. Not to mention the difference in build quality between the 5 non Pro and 7, it was drastic I felt. Never tried the L5 Pro but it looks nice.

saturnotaku likes this.
  7. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, I just check it and yeah it is on 99mhz and not 100mhz. Originally I plan on using Oloy but the TRFC number change my mind (and Mushkin is cheaper too)

Some additional observation, using F@H with 230watt adapters the system actually use the battery power so the 300watt is kinda a must if all of the component is used together. Finding the 300watt adapter is kinda hard though in my place.

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's not my first poor experience with a Tongfang chassis. I had one of the older Maingear Vector 2 laptops that also suffered from stuck pixels and the wonkiest fan curve I've ever heard. I could kind of, sort of understand the problems with the Vector considering it was only $900 brand new. However, these lapses are unacceptable in a product costing nearly three times as much. I was hoping newer generation models would have better quality control, but that clearly hasn't been the case.

As I said previously, I can't justify having a high-end gaming laptop any more. For the less than $1,500 MicroCenter is charging, the standard Legion 5 pretty much ticks all the boxes for how I would be using it. I just feel like an idiot for having sold my 5 Pro.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    jlp0209 likes this.
  9. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Agree on defects like these being 100% unacceptable. You can't go wrong with the L5 at Microcenter, it's the best $1299 deal out there. You can always get the L5 and wait for a black friday sale on the L5 Pro and sell the regular L5.

saturnotaku likes this.
  10. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Received my 2nd Legion 7i and sure enough, dead pixel toward the right-middle of screen. Why is it so difficult to simply get a laptop with a defect free screen. It is a minor thing in the grand scheme of life, but it is also so infuriating. On phone with Lenovo now to schedule a replacement. Hopefully 3rd time will be a charm, otherwise 3 strikes and I'll be out / done.