Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If anyone needs stock paste that came on the 2021 Legions (not sure about previous models) this is it.

Paste - Honeywell PTM7950SP phase change silicone grease
    The thing about the paste though is you have to let it cure for 15 hours after applying before you put the sink back on.

That why I bought Honeywell PTM7950 phase change thermal conductive sheet.
    Its the paste in a sheet you can cut to size and put on the die or the heat sink. If you ever had to buy a new thermal module it comes already applied on the heat sinks.

[​IMG]
    At first I thought it was stuck to the inside of the bag but it has plastic on both sides you can peel off. Sheets are .2mm thick and that one is 40x80mm.

It brought my temps down a lot, from this on Wolfenstein 2
    [​IMG]

to this
    [​IMG]

The temps were much better when I first bought it but I had the bright idea of repasting to make them even better .. no. This stock paste seems to be the best unless you want to use liquid metal. It is also not easy getting this thermal module screwed down so the heat sink makes perfect contact.

[​IMG]
    You can see the screws aren't in the greatest locations. My temps would be lower if I could get that process down. The good thing about this phase change paste, it gets hard after you apply it and let it cure, or is already hard if you use the sheet. When it gets hot it melts and helps even out the mounting or heat sink imperfections. When it cools it gets hard again.

Petrov and adampk17 like this.
  2. mehtenj94

mehtenj94 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, I’m not US based. I hope you get your replacement part sooner.

Petrov likes this.
  3. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you for testing this. Did you happen to use it on the GPU as well? If so, any improvement there?

Atma likes this.
  4. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes I put it on the gpu too. I can't really remember what it was before but its always been good. If I go by afterburner its usually in the high 60's under load. HWInfo maxes about 72.

5. Spring1898

Spring1898 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good to know, I am not sure if it is the same with the non Legion 7 laptops as that appeared to be normal (very hard) paste on my teardown. I did notice a substantial difference with the Legion 7 paste as noted in my comparison.
    Interestingly the thermal conductivity is the same as MX-4, slightly less than Arctic Silver 5, but from my experience thermal conductivity numbers do not tell the entire story.

I agree, for the Legion 7's leave the paste alone.

Atma likes this.
  6. Contactt

Contactt Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi alll. I am having a issue. Couldn't find any solutions on web. So here it is. Got my legion 5(5600h-3060) couple of weeks ago. I always used in dGPu mode. Recently I had to use it in iGpu mode. But I realised some strange stutters. These stutters occur at random times. Like after a playing session right clicking the desktop makes a stutter or randomly clicking the speaker button from tray makes a stutter or clicking shut down makes it. My laptop came with freeDos. I only installed drivers from windows update and vantage. Couple of my friends had this issue too. I also tried to install w11 drivers but didn't help. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

7. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've seen people with the same problem posts everywhere with different model legion 5's. There is a 41 page thread about it on Lenovo's forum. I haven't seen a real solution though. Some seem to think it is a dgpu driver issue conflicting with hybrid mode.

Contactt likes this.
  8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Atma and Contactt like this.
  9. Contactt

Contactt Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks both @saturnotaku and @Atma . As you mentioned its worth to try. I will keep you posted if it works. I am planning to install w11 on release date. I will do the mentioned way.

Also I've read the entire thread at lenovo's forum but there is no solution.
    Thanks for quick replys.

Atma likes this.
  10. philstopford

philstopford Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Atma likes this.