Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Had the same issue but on the 7i 11980, and it was my left speaker that sounded muffled.. I tried opening the laptop and re-seating it but nothing. I tried different drivers, disabling/enabling Nahimic, and a bunch of other things.. what ended up "solving" it for me was this:

- Removed Nahimic software, and removed Nahimic drivers. - reboot
    - Installed Equalizer APO (look up how to install and use)
    - optional: install PEACE Equalizer for a nicer GUI for the APO app
    - Reboot
    - Open Peace (or regular APO equalizer), and adjust the levels..

My speakers are both working perfectly, louder and crisper than was ever possible with the Lenovo/Nahimic setup.

TLDR: Think it's a software/driver issue

2. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for posting this. I’ll try this too and report back!

3. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wonder when we may see alderlake cpus make there way to laptops .. maybe intel are focused on manufacturing alder lake over tiger lake hence the stock issues. I know both CPU’s are on 10 nanometer but makes me wonder if it’s worth waiting for alderlake

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If trend follows previous generation then you will see the U series chip first, maybe launched close to the desktop series, then H series mobile chips later in Q1-Q2 2022.

Worth the wait? Maybe, but it will take a lot of application optimization before the benefits of these processors will be realized.

5. mehtenj94

mehtenj94 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Exact same model and same issue. I’m getting the speakers replaced tomo. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Petrov likes this.
  6. 1990BW

1990BW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Simple optimization guide (AMD Ryzen)

A Disable CPU Turbo
    When Turbo-mode is disabled all CPU cores run @ 3.2GHZ which will reduce power consumption & drop the temperatures up to 10C (in performance mode).
    On the plus side of things the power savings on the CPU will be utilized (more) by the Nvidia GPU.
    The RTX3070 mobile chip for example will almost constantly draw 140W while gaming.
    When the CPU turbo is enabled the wattage on the GPU will occasionally drop to the stock 125W and will only boost to 140W under certain conditions.
    So the CPU performance loss will vary per application, in GPU heavy loads for example there will be almost no (noticeable) performance loss because your GPU can draw more wattage.

Turbo mode on your Ryzen CPU can be disabled through modifying the Power settings in the Windows registry.
    Before we start messing with the Registry create a back-up first just in case something goes wrong.

Now Open Registry Editor -> Go to: File -> Export -> SAVE

[​IMG]

Next go to the registry key to enable Turbo control in your Windows power plan -> Copy below registry key -> paste in search bar and hit ENTER:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\be337238-0d82-4146-a960-4f3749d470c7

[​IMG]

Double click on Attributes -> set value data to 2

Close Registry editor

Now go to Power Options -> pick a powerplan to modify -> click on change plan settings -> change advanced power settings

In Power Options -> Expand Processor power management tab -> Processor performance boost mode -> Set to disabled when plugged in (or whatever you like to change)

[​IMG]

Hit Apply and confirm in a system monitor app of your choice whether the clockspeed runs at 3.2GHZ.

B GPU Undervolting
    In a nutshell what we try to achieve here is a better balance between performance, temperatures and fan noise on both the GPU & CPU.
    From here it’s highly recommended to follow this guide from Bob off all Trades:

YouTube: GPU Undervolting Guide for Laptops!

This video basically covers all information you need to know about GPU undervolting with the Voltage curve editor.

Download and install MSI Afterburner and Heaven benchmark.
    In Afterburner press Ctr + F to open the Voltage curve editor.

Below an example on how I’ve setup my profiles.
    What I like to do is having multiple profiles so I can pick one which suits the workload best.

1 Flat 0.700V
    Up to 20C drop
    [​IMG]

For Photoshop and non-demanding games I like to use the 0.700V profile because I don’t need the full performance of the GPU.
    This will keep the temperatures on the GPU & CPU nice and low and also reduces fannoise.

2 Cap 0.750V & 0.800V
    Up to 15C drop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Profile 2 is what I call the sweetspot of my machine in more demanding titles the GPU voltage will be around 0.800-0.835V.
    If you look closely to profile 2 (0.750V) & 3 (0.800V) the Core clock on my device is only 30mhz slower but the voltage is 0.050V lower.
    For only a slightly slower core clock I will get much better temperatures and less fan noise while having an almost unnoticeable performance loss.

4 Cap 0.850V
    Default temperatures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Profiles 4-5 are more or less OC profiles where the GPU will boost in short burst to higher voltages.
    Pushing the GPU to these maximum’s will result in higher temperatures and more fan noise.
    Still you could cap things at some point to keep some control over the acoustics.

C Fancontrol
    Use at own risk this community software allows users to lock the fan speed:

https://www.legionfancontrol.com/

When you’ve disabled the CPU Turbo mode and undervolted your GPU you could use, if you have enough thermal headroom, slower fanspeeds.
    My suggested target temperature on CPU/GPU would be around 80C for both.

D Additional power saving settings

Lenovo Vantage -> Thermal mode -> Quiet

Fn Hotkey -> Set display to 60hz -> Fn + R

AMD Radeon Software -> Settings -> Display and disable:
    • AMD Freesync
    • Vari-Bright

Petrov and Atma like this.
  7. mehtenj94

mehtenj94 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They replaced the speakers and now it works fine. They left the old speakers for me to keep as spares lol. First time I’ve had an old part not being returned after a repair. The repair process was smooth. I raised the ticket on Tuesday and they fixed it within 2 days.

Atma likes this.
  8. quantandpoets

quantandpoets Newbie

Reputations:
    A --> Run as Administrator:
    powercfg -attributes sub_processor perfboostmode -attrib_hide

No need to mess with registry.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

9. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's great to hear! I raised my ticket well over a week ago and it tells me the replacement part is on order, and that it won't be ready until December this year. Are you US based (I am)?

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The repair date for my Legion 5 Pro's trackpad changed practically daily so I wouldn't rely too much on what the status website says. In all, it took a bit less than a month for the part to arrive and the work to be completed.

Atma likes this.