Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ty!
    Yea I’m pretty amazed with this machine, and definitely lucked out on both CPU & GPU.
    I’ve shuntmodded my Razer’s and desktop GPU’s before, but don’t think I’ll be doing that this time.. quite content with 14k+ GPU score!

werdmonkey4321 likes this.
  2. Spring1898

Spring1898 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In my situation the performance benefits of the Legion 7 are what are motivating me to keep it over the L5P/ the up to 10% improvement of the 3080 at higher resolutions is significant. If they had made a 3080 L5P I think my problems would be solved, but the panel is still the largest hurdle. If I could solve that my decision would be made. To my knowledge no one has yet disassembled a screen on one of these machines, so I am not sure how they are retained in the housing either adhesive tape or screws and brackets, or the orientation of the snaps that would hold the lid together, or whether the panel could be removed without disassembling the hinge assembly (depends on if the connector is permanently attached to the back of the screen). Lots of unknowns to be the guinea pig of several thousand dollar units.

3. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree. At this point there's little benefit to shunt modding except for bragging rights on the leaderboards. Unlike the Max-Q GPUs there's little to be gained by increasing the wattage to 200W. We would most likely be looking at a <5% gain, if even that.

MagillaGorilla likes this.
  4. chrischris99

chrischris99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay I see. I would not try to change the screens, there is so much that could go wrong in my opinion, but if you do I wish you the best of luck with it! I

5. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This may or may not answer your questions. https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_legion_7_16_6_hmm.pdf

6. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If its the same as last year models, all you need to do is to remove the screen bezel starting from the webcam area then work your way down removing the adhesive tape. After that the panel is being held by more adhesive tape on the corners but for your case its not worth the risk and you'll void your warranty when you change the panel. I think the Legion 5 Pro and Legion 7 uses the same exact QHD+ 500nits panel.

7. Bullit

Bullit Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you recharge the Legion 5 (2021) via USB-C 3.2 Power Delivery port?

8. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your answer lies in your question. If it's PD then yes, absolutely.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Bullit likes this.
  9. atquantrandash93

atquantrandash93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a way to overclock the 3070 in the Legion 5 pro with 5800H? I'm using Afterburner, but the profile never sticks. Also, it only displays GPU temps while I'm gaming, nothing else. How can I fix that?

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

10. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just posting this here for posterity.

Got my L7 (5900hx / 3080) a week or so ago. Right speaker was stuffed out of the box, keeps randomly going to near zero volume for minutes/hours at a time and then going back to normal for a bit. Rinse and repeat. Checked all drivers, balances etc. No issue with headphones only the external speaker.

I bought the four years ultimate warranty (on site repair) so they’re ordering a new speaker to replace it with. No idea when it will arrive, but safer than getting a replacement laptop (which I was offered but no ETA on availability and I don’t want to be without a laptop for months).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021