Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. Spring1898

Spring1898 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did not experience this with my Legion 7. Or rather, mine does have that play, but it does not creak or make noise. This is not the first time I have heard the Legion 7 having weird noise in the hinge.

The lid of the Legion 7 is thinner and more flimsy than the Legion 5 Pro. I believe this is one of the 2 areas that accounts for the difference in height between the two models. However I do not experience any distortion of the image when the panel is flexed. This tells me that at least on my unit the lid is fairly solid, and that it flexes as a unit without pressure points. However, my carrying case is padded over the lid.

The calibration is general to the Legion models with the 16:10 panel. It is not unique to the particular unit.

As far a panels I have the CSO as well I believe, so based on mine and other experience, as well as yours, there is substantial variation in tolerances that are being allowed for the units leaving the 'factory' to meet the demand.

To me it seems like they tried to make the Legion 7 more streamlined and premium and thinner, but there are consequences to this in the rigidity of the build

2. ancef

ancef Newbie

Reputations:
    Definitely shunt modded, I talked to him. And a 165w VBIOS.

3. chrischris99

chrischris99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

What worries me is that it cracks strangely and the back bends slightly as soon as I lift the notebook up from the back when it is closed. I would be okay with the play/bend, because it seems there is a bit of space between the screen and the body and this might lead to that. But these crackles sound not good. It feels like two surfaces touching and getting released after that again. When I flex the panel I don't have any distortion (which is good I guess).
    Also when I open and close the L7 there is mostly also a short crack near the hinges. Really not sure what to do because other than that everything is great and the panel is great with no bleeding. I actually prefer that over the BOE panel in the L5P which is also good but the blacks seem a bit better on the L7. The BOE panel in the L5P has a bit of bleeding on top which is only visible when watching movies or with really dark pictures though.

I would love to keep the L7 but these cracks and that wobble really worry me, especially with all the hinge problems of the 2020 model. I don't want to put 2k in a new laptop that has a broken hinge/screen after a few months and from what I have read Lenovo does not repair that under warranty.

What do you think?

I actually really like the L5P too, just the panel might be a bit worse, unfortunately I have not found a comparison from anyone else about the two panels, just the they are both used in L5Ps and L7s

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  4. Spring1898

Reputations:
    I think it really comes down to what your needs and wants are.
    As stated, if there are aspects of the Legion 7 that you prefer or require, the answer is straightforward.
    If not is the screen so sufficiently better and will you be using it exclusively or an external monitor frequently enough to warrant the slightly worse screen acceptable.

You can try to return or exchange the Legion 7, but the limited availability coupled with the experiences of others here in the forum would lead me to believe you would simply get a refund, with no new availability for a couple months unless you are lucky.

Given that my screen is the same as yours, yet I experience the opposite situation leads me to believe that you would be gambling on the new panel being better, worse, or the same as unit consistency is poor. The devil you know...

5. chrischris99

chrischris99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply.
    I actually tend to the L5P at the moment. If I would have gotten it with the CSO display I think my decision would be alot easier. But maybe I'm also making the display difference bigger than it is, because the BOE display is also used in L7 laptops and has also scored well in reviews. And the L5P unit is perfect aside the BOE display with a bit of backlight bleed.
    I saw your review and I am sorry to hear you have also these experiences with the displays. Did you have the same panels in the L5P and L7 and it is still such a difference?

I thought about exchanging the L5P and hoping for the CSO display, but then I am afraid there might be other problems like coile whine/problems with the performance or even a worse display with more bleeding/pixel errors or so. Plus they store I ordered might get a few new ones, but after that they also have to wait for a new batch. So if that new unit is even worse, I might not get an L5P (especially for that really good price) for a while.

Similar with the L7 that is out of stock again where I ordered and they don't know when they get a new ones, so this can take months and is not really an option.

// Update: I have been testing the two in coditions like I would normally use them (mostly on the go) and I did not even notice big differences with the panels tbh, like when I am outside or in a bright room during the day. They are both really bright and look a lot better than most laptops screens in the 1,5-2k price range. I really prefer the L5P keyboard, it is really great to type on. I also like the whole body of the L5P, it just feels more sturdy and something I can carry around. I normally also use a mouse, so the trackpad does not matter that much. I also ran benchmarks (Cinebench / 3D Mark) and they were so close together that the performance is really really similar. Battery life is indeed better on the L5P, feels like 30-40% more. I am pretty sure I stick with the L5P and save the 400 bucks the L7 would be more.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  6. Spring1898

Reputations:
    Glad you can figure it out. I am not so fortunate with my panels. Despite being the same panel, the L5P is notably better in every respect. Can get brighter, darker, and the picture and colors are better.

7. rahasyavadi

rahasyavadi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If, apart from the screen, you end up preferring the L7, you may want to swap the screens before letting go of the L5Pro.

8. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    wikileaker, Kalen and werdmonkey4321 like this.
  9. chrischris99

chrischris99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I alread spent way too long comparing the two and I said it needs to be time for a decission. I totally feel you though! I also liked the panel more in the L7 but since it is more of a "work" laptop that I use when I am on the go mainly for video/audio production I think I will never notice the two smaller bleeding spots on the display or that the colors might be a bit worse. I was still really thinking about returning it and hoping a new one is better, but I had severa laptops here in the last years from different brands (Thinkpads, Ideapads, Dell XPS, Macbooks), and all of them had flaws that were a lot bigger than the panel of the L5P being like a few percent away from being perfect. Everything else is great, no coil whine, fans are quieter than on the L7, temps are also good. So I just decided and said I go with the L5P.
    I am sorry to hear with your panel in the L5P - do you prefer the L7 much over the L5P? I actually prefer the L5P over the L7 with its built and keyboard.

10. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice job on those scores. Looks like someone has finally knocked me off the leaderboards for Time Spy and Fire Strike with the 3080 and stock power limits of 165W and Intel mobile CPUs. Congrats! :)

I only have an i7-11800H though so that limits my results a bit. I am running an Alienware X17 R1 with Kingston 3200 Mhz ram. I haven't tried overclocking the ram yet so I could probably squeeze a few more points from that, but ultimately I will be limited by my i7 processor in terms of overclocking. I also still haven't decided whether or not to shunt mod yet to knock Hidder Modder off the leaderboards(they are running a 200W shunt modded 3080 with overclocked ram as well).

wikileaker and MagillaGorilla like this.