Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    not sure, if you click my first link it gives a list of systems. You can also go to the discord and ask the dev. He is very open to adding new systems.

2. AAtte

AAtte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay my Legion 5 Pro 5800h 3070 power failure was not from the cable. It did it again like 5 times in a row. It’s going back. It just keeps resetting.

3. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry, that sucks.

4. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I’m sure someone can explain it better, but:
    Frequency = overall speed
    Latency = quickness to start/stop tasks
    Timings = the settings that dictate how the RAM should operate

I know my results are all over the place.. I tried different combinations, but due to the bios crashing a few times, it was very time consuming to restore.. So I wasn’t able to run nearly as many tests as I would’ve liked to.

That said, based on my findings, a dual rank 2Rx8 kit at 3200 cl20-22, is slower than the stock single rank 1Rx8 kit running at 2933 Gear 1.

The L2/L3 caches are probably close, but the latency is much improved for the Stock kit at Gear1.. (70ns compared to 84+)

ancef likes this.
  5. raul-77

raul-77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My laptop turns off while I play, the power light stays on , I do not know if it's the same thing that happens to you, I use cooling base, I do not know what you can dever, the laptop I bought it on Amazon will do two months

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  6. ringoffire

ringoffire Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question- forgive me for my very basic understanding of RAM. The increased CPU performance we've seen is clearly completely unrelated to latency (my 6% bump despite latency even slightly worse Hyper X vs stock). What is the impact of lowering latency on gaming FPS in CPU bound games? The main improvement on paper with Hyper X versus stock ram is either the CL20 or the tRFC being faster to account for that 6%. AIDA benchmarks on data rates were very close between the two. What is the magnitude of the difference between 70ns ram and 93ns latency in games?

ancef likes this.
  7. MagillaGorilla

Reputations:
    I'm no expert either, lol..

The CPU performance bump you experienced is def related to sub-timings, including tRFC (especially if comparing ~560 to the stock ~860 or whatever it is).

As for how lower latency ram impacts CPU-bound games, I had to go digging, but found someone that was able to articulate it well:

"Latency affects frame-times for games with a core data set larger than the CPU's cache.
    Any object that needs to be checked for render calls and any object affected by player actions, physics or AI needs to be loaded from RAM with every single frame drawn, and every single of these actions will have the CPU waiting on the RAM for the duration.

Once you move to higher FPS targets (above 60) latency starts to show an effect. Too high RAM latency can cause missed frames (stuttering) and bottleneck GPU's.

For productivity, latency is important for applications that require a large amount of random access to large data sets - database apps can't get low enough latency, and scale well."

So it seems one can achieve high bench scores despite higher latency.. Sub-timings, and even overall capacity definitely play a role (32gb vs 64gb).

BUT in actual gaming scenarios with user-inputs (where you desire low input-lag) you would benefit from lower latency RAM.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    ringoffire, ancef, Atma and 1 other person like this.
  8. MagillaGorilla

Reputations:
    [​IMG]OC:
    CPU 4.8Ghz All Core
    GPU +165/+1600

Cooling:
    LM on CPU, Kryo on GPU

Additional Info:
    External display, ambient room 19c, laptop was near central AC vent

Happy to finally crack 14k GPU score!

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/22752525

9. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Damn, you smokin' that laptop! :D Is there anything you don't have #1 in yet?

MagillaGorilla likes this.
  10. MagillaGorilla

Reputations:
    Lol, FireStrike.. for some reason my combined score is a bit low

I ❤️ this machine, Lenovo really nailed the thermal design.

Atma likes this.