Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. AAtte

AAtte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    He means the ram. Maybe the alienware cant use the best 3200mhz cl20 timings?

2. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Swapped with the HyperX CL20 RAM. There was definitely a difference in performance with the Alienware (110 fps vs 100 fps before) but the change with the Lenovo was a much more dramatic one (145 fps vs 100 fps before).

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Bullit and wikileaker like this.
  3. wikileaker

wikileaker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is a huge improvement on lenovo. Its getting harder and harder to keep my fingers away from ordering a few sticks.. :)

4. 1990BW

1990BW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you compare 'performance' with eachother it's only usefull to us if you describe 'how' you test (settings etc.).
    In terms of the RAM it's helpfull if you show the subtimings of each kit (with Zentimings).

wikileaker likes this.
  5. Kalen

Reputations:
    With Call of Duty Cold War I tested both at native resolutions, ultra settings, motion blur off, rtx off, DLSS off. I know that this shows an advantage to Alienware slightly in terms of fps since at native resolution, the Legion is pushing out 11.1% more render space (1600 vs 1440).

Just trying to go through advantages of each and determine which one I am keeping. It's extremely difficult because they are both great in their own right lol

6. Bullit

Bullit Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think an improvement of 100 to 145 can only be put at RAM, some other differences need to occur. That is too big for only RAM. Even the 10% improvement in Alienware is already good.

7. Kalen

Reputations:
    I know, it was extremely wierd, and I swapped out again. Tried on a different map instead of Nuketown. 100 fps with stock RAM (same settings, new map - showroom). Swapped with the HyperX again, 135 fps. So I'm getting consistent results with that game. Division 2 did not have the same impact. Went from 69 fps benchmark to 70 fps benchmark on ultra.

Bullit, Atma and Papusan like this.
  8. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Legion 5 Pro is going have the better performance due of it using the 140W RTX 3070 while the Alienware uses only the 125W RTX 3070. Personally i think you should stick with the Legion 5 PRO since it'll last longer due to lower temps and easier to clean the fans and repaste the CPU+GPU, and upgrade the components, For the Alienware you would need to remove the entire motherboard in order to do that but the choice is up to you and go with whatever makes you happy!.

Darkhan and Atma like this.
  9. Bullit

Bullit Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for feedback, so it is that game in particular that is heavily affected by RAM.

I concur that Lenovo seems to be the more consistent choice if that is what matter to you.

10. Blombatsch

Blombatsch Newbie

Reputations:
    If I noticed that correctly, the Alienware should now support 135 watts via the BIOS update.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021