Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here's a quick video on the Legion Slim 7, and it looks like kind of a face plant. It's a 60W GPU, half the RAM is soldered to the motherboard, and the thermals look quite poor.

Normimb, KING19 and Atma like this.
  2. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I honestly cant understand Lenovo's thinking, this is similar to the P15 I had which had poor cooling capacity than a P1

3. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Yep, I smile with myself thinking on all those out there that said when AMD entered the notebook arena we would see the end of 100C as with the Intel chips. If the chips use less power, just reduce thermal capacity. Cheaper to make as well. The second benefits for the OEM is thinner design. Exactly as what the people ask for.

Normimb and Terreos like this.
  4. Sentential

Reputations:
    Yes you really can't change the laws of physics as much as people would like to try lol. As a general rule of thumb you are correct that people want thin, light and pretty. How that happens is something to be worried about later down the road after 3 years.

The only asterisk I would add is that for people on *this* forum want either DTRs or Workstations, further my comment was that when such an opportunity presented itself Lenovo still managed to screw it up. Ironically enough worse than the Ultrabook that had a horrible reputation of being loud, hot and with terrible battery life. Really impressive when you think about it.

KING19, Papusan and saturnotaku like this.
  5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Anybody have any thoughts on the Legion Ultimate Support warranties? I have read a few horror stories on reddit but it seemed like the self install would generally be ok provided that they keep repair parts available on par with their business lines.

6. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And now it’s slipped backwards a month. Expected to ship on Aug 31 now.

Damn you Covid!

7. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I wish I had an answer. From all I’ve read the business side seems like it’s a good experience. And from what I’ve read that on-site repairs seem to be ok. Just sending your machine in for repair to Lenovo might be a nightmare. :confused:

8. Sentential

Reputations:
    I used a Lenovo warranty to repair an X1C that had a bad thunderbolt port (ironically covered by a recall years later) and they sent a base i5 motherboard rather than my top spec. They ultimately refunded me because of the mix up. Nice folks but it wasn't great.

9. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When you're using a 45W CPU in a very thin chassis and with a crappy cooling system with smaller vents, its a recipe for a disaster. Lenovo failed pretty hard here

saturnotaku and Papusan like this.
  10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Some might still prefer it over an Asus G15, for instance, since it does have a webcam. The numberpad would also be useful for productivity, which it seems more geared towards.

saturnotaku likes this.