Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. TDO

TDO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    USB 3.2. Gen 2 2x2 delivers 20 Gb/s
    And SSD is working on desktop with this speed.

So you say that the TB 4 port on the legion 5i pro is crippled and not USB 4 compliant, as it does not support the mandatory 20Gb/s.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You didn’t specify that your enclosure was 20 Gb. Also, you’re using the port on the back of the laptop and not the ones on the sides, correct? Are your Thunderbolt firmware and software as well as those of the laptop are up to date? Are you using the enclosure with the laptop plugged in and in either balanced or high performance mode?

I don’t have any way of testing this stuff myself but if none of the above is working you may want to post on the Lenovo support forum. You'll likely get more answers there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  3. McSalt

McSalt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know how to fix the issue where closing the lid causes the legion 5 pro to shut down instead of sleep? I already changed the options in the power plan settings, but if I sleep the laptop and then close the lid, this is not an issue.

4. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Well friends, my Legion laptop journey continues. As much as I love the 7i, it's on its way back to Lenovo for a couple reasons. First and foremost is the bulk of the chassis and AC adapter. It's a pain to use anywhere other than on my desk, which would be fine if I didn't already have a desktop. Second is the performance of the Intel iGPU. One thing I frequently do is play older games that can easily be run on integrated graphics, meaning I can keep the laptop powered via USB-C. Intel's drivers are awful. I encountered numerous glitches and crashes that were never an issue when I had laptops with AMD CPUs.

That's why I'm back on the Team Red bandwagon and have a Legion Slim 7 on the way. I went with the configuration that's currently a doorbuster special: R7 5800H, RTX 3060 Max-Q, 165 Hz screen, 16 GB RAM, and 2x1 TB SSD. Adding the 2-year on-site warranty with ADH pushed the total above the $1500 threshold needed to get the $100 bonus discount, which means I basically got them for free. I was watching some videos, and I saw one that showed this model has Advanced Optimus. I'll be very curious to check it out when mine arrives, which will be on Tuesday.

5. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Lenovo deals train is like crack. :) Great return policy combined with frequent deals is a bad combo for perfectionists like us. :)

jlp0209 likes this.
  6. kekyoin

kekyoin Newbie

Reputations:
    Might be worth buying a GaN power adapter if you're concerned about the brick. I have one and it works great. has both DC out (for high powered laptops like legion) and USB-C if you needed to top up other usb-c devices (100W max on both slots). Size is actually around to the 90W lenovo slim tip, and the weight savings are immense compared to both the lenovo 230 and 300W brick. Basically allows me to keep using my Omens and Legions at full power everywhere without the giant and heavy brick in the way :). The DC slot can be adapted to multiple types of laptop so you can basically use it with any laptop

240W USB-C GaN Charger – SlimQ Official Store

jlp0209, sk3tch and saturnotaku like this.
  7. TDO

TDO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I looked up the datasheet of the intel TB 4 controller. It is indeed only supporting USB 3.2 Gen 2x1, so only 10Gb/s via USB-C

What a bummer.

My other devices have only USB C and no TB.
    So I‘m stuck.

Or does anybody know a TB and USB Gen 2x2 combi enclosure?

8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I have a couple GaN chargers already, and the Legion Slim 7 ships with the smaller Lenovo 230W adapter I linked to in a previous post. That being said, I did order one of these SlimQ chargers as it will be incredibly useful for when I travel. I signed up for their email list to get a 10% off coupon code, but for some reason I got two so here's the other in case someone wants it:

7L5TNHHMPJMY

Aquineas likes this.
  9. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing. It's tempting. I just can't get over the 60W power deficiency versus the large brick. The whole point of carrying my laptop when I travel is to game. My MBP is for work/productivity. It's crazy how power adapters alone account for hundreds of dollars once you've settled on a laptop, lol.

EDIT: yolo bought one with adapters for Lenovo, MSI, and ASUS. Used your coupon @saturnotaku - thanks!

EDIT2: got a coupon for "signing up" (by ordering) - A7LHUJ4UYMD3 if someone wants to get one, too!

EDIT3: have you guys tried this? Legion Fan Control https://www.reddit.com/r/LenovoLegi...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  10. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry that you're back on the carousel. I played with a Slim at Best Buy awhile ago, felt like a nice device. Hope the Slim works out better re: integrated graphics options. That looks like a nice GaN that you ordered, I may do the same eventually for travel.

I did the opposite and ordered a larger genuine Alienware / Dell 330w power adapter off of eBay the seller parted from his Alienware. Snagged it for $40. It is quite the brick, larger than the 300w that comes with the 7i. Lots of knock offs on there, probably fell through the cracks, it is indeed genuine and the bios on my M15 picks it up perfectly and it works great. Steal at $40.

I ordered another 7i w/ i7 and 3080 last Friday when the prebuilt briefly popped up. It said 7-9 business days shipping, we'll see. Very tired of this process. If it too has screen or other defects I may throw in the towel on this laptop, sadly. Never thought I'd see the day where I'd keep an Alienware laptop over a Lenovo Legion. It has greatly exceeded my expectations so far.

sk3tch and saturnotaku like this.