Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. Aquineas

Aquineas Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah my bad, I missed it.
    Well it is necessary in my case because I wanted Windows 11 Pro and didn't order it through Lenovo, but I nevertheless appreciate you informing me that keeping it stock isn't horrible.

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The product key is embedded in the BIOS so if you try a clean install with the Windows creation tool, it will put Home back. You can just enter your Pro key within the activation section of Windows settings, and it will unlock those features after a reboot.

Atma, Vasudev, jlp0209 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Ran into a weird bug that might be handy for you all to know about incase it happens to you. So for some reason my 5900HX was not boosting past 3900MHz. I didn't give much mind and figured I'd just reboot the laptop after I was done playing. Didn't work. I tried a few things like changing the overclock settings in the bios, making sure my battery charged to 100% instead of 50% using the battery conservation mode. Nothing. What ended up working was cycling through the power profiles with Fn + Q. Why this worked I have no idea. But, if you see something similar that might be the solution. :confused:

adampk17, Aquineas and Atma like this.
  4. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Can’t say I know first hand if the warranty stays with the laptop if you sell it. So might be a good idea to ask a Lenovo rep. And I’m not sure what to expect if I need my laptop worked on, but I did buy a second year on mine since it was cheap at purchase. And accidental is always nice as that can normally cover you if they try to say you purposely damaged the laptop. Though I did not get it.

sk3tch likes this.
  6. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How cheap at the time of purchase? My pre-built came with 1 year of Legion Ultimate so I didn't really consider extending - plus I wasn't sure how much I would like the laptop. Is $60 for another year within the realm or should I hold off?

Both here and on places like reddit I have heard varying degrees of horror stories about it, too. :) But $60 seems reasonable for 2 years and it will make it more attractive when I sell it.

7. Aquineas

Aquineas Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought mine for my oldest kids, both of which are under 10. I went to three years with accidental protection :). It'll hopefully not be used, but if it's needed, it's a lot cheaper than replacing a laptop, motherboard, or display.

Atma and sk3tch like this.
  8. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The motherboard for my 7i would cost me $3300 .. so yeah. :D

Aquineas likes this.
  9. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well as is my luck, a dust speck appeared in the middle of my screen toward the bottom, about 1.5 inches above the power button and a bit to the left. Tried lightly tapping and using a small suction cup, no luck so far. I really don't want to deal with the hassle of returning yet again and re-ordering. I do have the 4 year ultimate support with accidental, is it worth it to have a tech just come out and replace the screen or would you just return and re-buy?

If I let a tech come out I will make sure he / she uses appropriate equipment and I'll buy an anti-static mat if I have to. You need to remove the heatsink / vapor chamber which will require a re-paste, which I'm not too eager to do since thermals are fantastic as is. I just can't win.

10. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bummer - sorry to hear that man. I would do both - if you can get the deal that you got before - so you are covered either way under the 30 day return period.

If there are any challenges with scheduling a tech - I would contact for a return and see if they can make a concession so at least you get a few hundred $$ back for the inconvenience of having to rely on a tech coming later (and perhaps outside of your return window). If they don't offer you a monetary amount for the inconvenience that satisfies you, simply return it.

jlp0209 likes this.