Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice one! I have the same setup and am really, really liking it. Apart from having to get one speaker replaced out of the box, I'm very happy with the build and keyboard quality too (important to me, as I'm deep into the custom keyboard hobby).

I have the mediatek card and I don't like it at range - speeds seem very variable even when nothing is changing. I've ordered some Kingston Fury dual channel low latency ram and the AX210 wifi card, so I'll install them both together soon.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Terreos likes this.
  2. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lenovo sent out a third party repair guy to come and replace a faulty speaker on my L7. He used a damn metal spudger and scratched the edges of my base plate. Photos of him doing the spudging with the metal spudger and the resulting scratches attached. He obviously hadn't watched any tear down videos before cos he had no idea how to get the bottom off and it took like 5 minutes or more for him to get it off. He also used zero anti static protection - no gloves, no wrist strap, nothing. I was tearing my hair out.

At least he fixed the speaker, I guess. Pretty annoying when they come and scratch a near brand-new laptop. I guess it's only superficial, but still, frustrating.

IMG_1586 (1).jpg IMG_1587 (1).jpg IMG_1585.jpg

sk3tch likes this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    My router was like 6 feet from me when I was installing Guardians of the Galaxy. Went pretty quick. So that’s likely why it seemed ok. When I go to bed I’ll probably watch a video or two before I go to bed. So we will see how it works when I’m not right next to the thing.

Sorry to hear about the speaker. Hopefully that’s a smooth repair.

I’d be upset even if was 1+ years old. If you’re repairing something and scuff/scratch something, you’d better be making some calls to make that right.

But we need to address something. What is that HAIR?!? Holy heck! Looks like an octopus!

sk3tch likes this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I would have been on the phone with Lenovo and/or the repair company who scheduled the technician right then and there demanding that any scratched parts be replaced immediately and by a different person. That is completely unacceptable.

I had the complete opposite experience with the on-site person who replaced the trackpad on my old Legion 5 Pro. He knew exactly what he was doing, took care when disassembling the laptop with proper ESD protection, and had the repair completed within 30 minutes. In an ideal world, any additional service would be unnecessary, but if such a situation comes to pass again, I hope the same guy does the work.

jlp0209 and sk3tch like this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As of now, LEGIONDEALS20 remains a valid coupon code, and you can also stack HOLIDAYSURPRISE with it for an additional $100 off.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    sk3tch, jlp0209, Terreos and 2 others like this.
  6. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I just tried this with their 11800H and 3080 model. And it's a bit more expensive than my config. So I think I will stick with what I have. Plus all the AMD models are out of stock.

I wonder if you could stack the first time $100 off email code with this too? Would probably make most of us blush for jumping the gun. :D

7. Patrck_744

Patrck_744 Burgers!

Reputations:
    It removes the HOLIDAYSURPRISE coupon but it is stackable with LEGIONDEALS20 and IDme.

8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Well it's the same outcome then. Oh well. Again that just means no buyers remorse for us that pulled the trigger already. :D

9. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Received (hopefully for the final time) my 7i yesterday and fired it up today. All looks good, perfect screen and temps are good based on my brief benchmarks. Glad I got the i7 and not the i9 again, definitely runs cooler. Replaced the stock RAM (1Rx8 CL22) with 2Rx8 CL20 and took every precaution I could think of this time when opening the laptop, all good.

I did an undervolt of -.050v in XTU and left everything else re: the CPU stock. I'll use a GPU OC of +150/+500 for my daily settings. I got a couple artifacts at +165 on the core. Was able to get +1500 on the memory without errors but won't use that for my daily settings. Happy with the set up and leaving everything as-is from here on out and not opening the laptop again until I sell it eventually to put the stock RAM back in / not doing anything stupid.

My TS result is with the GPU OC set to +150/+500.

TS.jpg

Atma, sk3tch and Terreos like this.
  10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Seems like good results to me. I’ve been using the preset +100/+200 in the bios. Might try something higher but I’m getting good temps so I might just leave it.

I gotta swap out this Wi-Fi card though. It just lost connection a handful of times today while I was using the laptop today. It’s almost like it turns itself off when it’s done load web pages and needs a moment to wake back up.

I tried the ryzen control software earlier today and it was just a mess. I’ll stick with what the laptop can do in the bios and be happy with that. Scores higher than my 9900k at 5.0 ghz so that’s not bad for a laptop cpu.

jlp0209 likes this.