Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is opening the Legion 7i as bad as I've heard? I'm worried about breaking the clips. I have upgraded a half a dozen laptops in the past (SSD, HDD, memory, etc. - no LM or anything like that) and built dozens of custom PCs, but I was hoping to not bother messing with my maxed out unit due to the horror stories about clips. Getting that x16 RAM has me second guessing. What memory do you guys recommend? Is there a consensus or is it just "anything but x16". :)

2. BlakLanner

BlakLanner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't know what you have heard but the bottom as a whole is on pretty tight and there are a few spots that are a little tricky. If you have a guitar pick or spudger you should be able to get under the corner to start. The hardest part for me is at the fan vents as the angle changes a bit. I tend to loosen the front and sides up to the vents and then work on the back before taking on the vents last. Just go slow and be careful and you should be fine.

sk3tch likes this.
  3. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think I spent about 30 minutes trying to get a pick in the front corner and couldn't. I finally started at the vent on the side and it was very easy after that. I've opened mine so many times I probably broke 2 or 3 clips but it hasn't affected anything I can tell.

I bought 32gb of HyperX Impact for mine. Other people have used Crucial and G.Skill and it works fine. Just make sure the JEDEC is 3200 @1.2v. Lenovo doesn't have an XMP option in their bios, although I have read it is coming.

saturnotaku, sk3tch and Terreos like this.
  4. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    That’s the same kit I have sitting in wait for mine. Since I got the amd version I’m sure there is no way I got the good ram. I’ll have to double check that Wi-Fi card too since it sounds like they’re cheaping out there.

Should be here today actually. They changed it this morning. So here is hoping I get to play with it today.

sk3tch and Atma like this.
  5. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From what I have read in Discord, Realtek is the crap wifi card.

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I put my 3200 MHz kit of Mushkin Essentials RAM in, and the difference in performance on the L7i was marginal at best. This is with the same timings as the stock memory, just in an x8 configuration. AMD-based machines will see more benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sk3tch and Atma like this.
  7. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I remember right, the stock ram in my 7i was CL22 compared to CL20 with HyperX. The only real difference I could tell was about 500 more points on the cpu score in Time Spy.

sk3tch and saturnotaku like this.
  8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    So my Legion 7 did arrive today. I don’t see any dead pixels. There is one spot near the left hinge that shows some more light bleed than the rest of the screen. Bezel must be a bit tighter there. But it’s only noticeable when the screen is black. Very happy with that.

I have not opened it yet. Doing some benchmarks first. But it looks like I got a mediatek Wi-Fi card. Seems ok? I’ll give it some time to see if I want to swap that out with an intel one if it gives me any trouble.

Performance out of the box seems strong without any tweaking. Two questions though. In the vantage software turning the hybrid toggle on ((green)) enables hybrid mode correct? And leaving it off is for running off the 3080 at all times? And in the bios I see it has the option for dynamic and discrete. This is just the same thing just in the bios right? I don’t have to switch the options on or off in both the vantage software and the bios right? Figure that’s there in case you uninstalled the vantage software.

I’m honestly surprised how small the laptop was. I don’t know why I expected it to be bigger. Considering what the specs are it’s rather thin. And it feels a lot more premium than it looks on review videos. Think a few manufacturers could learn a thing or two from Lenovo.
    4A182465-2EC6-4870-B17B-00338D9C47BE.jpeg
    92311AEC-10BE-4BBE-8BD7-92806EA0667F.jpeg
    7355FD54-F681-4BC3-A397-1BBAA0E1DB9F.jpeg
    A006F7B6-6EE2-4D26-99B4-07AE2FEED4BD.jpeg
    D95E7E8E-8DCC-4497-9481-7DA2693B9227.jpeg

jlp0209, Atma and sk3tch like this.
  9. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, you can turn hybrid off in Vantage and reboot to run the 3080. No, you wouldn't need to turn it off in Vantage and Bios. I've never changed it in bios and only changed it in Vantage once. I have never run hybrid. I don't need battery life. :D

10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Ok. Nice. I probably will leave that way myself most of the time. I like how I could do all my overclocking in the bios. So once I find some stable settings in MSI afterburner I may end up using that feature. Though it doesn’t look like there is much over locking available to the 5900HX other than just turning it on in the bios and using what Lenovo has set. Still seems very potent in my short testing with it. I’ll have to see how it holds up to playing Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy once I finish downloading it.

Atma likes this.