Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah, good to know - my wife's Macbook Air M1 is up there too so I could use her charger in a pinch...awesome. Love this laptop! Just a smidge bigger and heavier than the Zephyrus G15 GA503 but way more power. I'm sold and selling the Zephy! The only issue I've found is the cooling is no where near the quality of MSI's GE76 - so mining part-time is not even an option (Gaming-wise the Legion 7i does great). Temps get smoking hot (I never mined on the Zeph, either - due to size/thermals).

Oh, and for the keys - with the FN key can you only dim the brightness or completely turn them off? I'd love to click to go to keylights only but it seems you either do the light show or you have it all off. I disabled iCue from starting so just using built-in stuff.

EDIT: do you guys have another source for this?

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/acce...z72164?orgRef=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  2. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/notebook-cooler/notepal-u3-plus/

I’ve been using this for awhile on many laptops. I had plans to swap out the fans for some nicer ones. But it’s probably one of the better notebook coolers I’ve used. Light weight enough that you could fit it into a bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NKWY8SX?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Or if you just want something to lift the laptop up I highly recommend this. I love this thing. A buddy of mine suggested it to me and I use it all the time to prop a laptop up. Plus when I’m not using it for a laptop it’s fun to play with as a make shift fidget device. ;)

sk3tch likes this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just make sure whatever USB-C charger you want to use with the Legion is capable of 20V/5A power delivery. The factory 30W brick that comes with the MacBook Air won't do anything. If you're in the US, I have an extra 100W GaN charger that I'm not using any more that I'll sell you for basically half of what they typically go for on Amazon. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Strange that you're having a problem with cooling as my L7i has some of the best temps I've ever recorded on a gaming laptop. It will hit 85C for a second as the CPU boosts up to 4.6 GHz when starting each render on a Cinebench load, but it settles down to 74-75C under the sustained load at 4.0-4.1 GHz. This is both cooler while maintaining a higher frequency than I've seen with any Ryzen 5000 laptop I've used.

With iCue disabled, I'm pretty sure it's all or nothing. I like the solid blue color but wish I could turn it off on the light bar and vents, leaving only the keyboard illuminated. It's a small price to pay given how good the rest of the laptop is otherwise. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for any kind of fix to the high power consumption problem that iCue presents. Instead, I'm going to see if there's a way to get the creator of OpenRGB to add support for the Legion 7 line.

sk3tch likes this.
  4. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you - ordered! That looks perfect in a pinch.

Gaming versus crypto mining is a very different scenario. The Legion is great for gaming - solid temps. It just can't hang for mining for my comfort. Not a huge deal. MSI literally wrote a blog on mining with the GE76 so I think it's in a different league. It is also way larger and way louder.

I will PM you!

Terreos likes this.
  5. BlakLanner

BlakLanner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just got home with my laptop. Drives are in Raid but the memory was 1Rx8 so I will take the wins where I can get them.

Before tweaking or upgrading to Win10:
    Time Spy: 12081, 12232 graphics, 11294 CPU

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  6. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi folks.

I have the L7 (AMD/3080). The GPU temps are generally pretty good while gaming. However, the CPU temp can hit high 90s (eg 98.5 on Horizon Zero Dawn - so graphically intensive), with Performance thermal mode on in Vantage. This is just sitting on a desk, no cooling pad of any sort. Everything at stock.

Is this normal or is hitting high 90s while gaming without a cooling pad expected?

7. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don’t have the AMD version, I have the i9, and your temps seem higher than I’d expect when gaming.

Try getting the back of the laptop at least another inch off the surface it’s sitting on and I wonder what kind of difference it makes for you.

8. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's interesting - in Cinebench I hit 92.5C (stock, performance mode, no cooling pad).

With a basic unpowered (ie no fan) cooling pad, I hit 87.8C.

So the passive cooling pad reduced temps by about 5C. Not sure why gaming stresses the CPU more than cinebench though.

9. BlakLanner

BlakLanner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My 7i peaks at 97C in Time Spy. Once am sure everything is working I am going to throw some LM on it. It worked wonders on my Titan so it should do well here.

10. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The i9 is hot AF - I would try undervolting first prior to cracking open the laptop and re-pasting. I got mine to -0.085 V and it no longer thermal throttles nearly as much.