Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tried that, no luck.

Yeah RAM at default timings, it was gear 2 per HWinfo. I didn't adjust anything other than swap in my set of 32gb RAM, which has worked and is working just fine now in my Alienware laptop.

*Edit- there's something going on other than RAM in your system, RAM shouldn't affect graphics score like that? Regardless that's very low. My 3070 scores 11,730 graphics.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  2. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On the intel 7i laptops how do you tell what “gear” your RAM is running at?

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If you have not already try letting it boot for 3-4 minutes without interrupting and powering it down. It may eventually reboot successfully.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My 3070-equipped Legion 7i arrived this morning. First laptop I've received from Lenovo that didn't have at least moderate damage to the box. I hate that they just slap a shipping label on the item they're sending. The whole package feels substantially more premium than the Legion 5 and 5 Pro, from the unboxing to the overall feel in the hand.

At first I thought my screen had a dirt defect, but thankfully it was on the outside so it cleaned right off. This was a relief because the panel is otherwise the best I've ever received on a gaming laptop in terms of uniformity. Not that IPS glow and/or backlight bleed has ever particularly bothered me, but I'm not seeing any on this example.

The keyboard is very good despite key travel that feels a tad short - I think I slightly prefer the non-Pro Legion 5 here. Like every other Legion laptop I've tried, trackpad palm rejection remains an issue, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was on the L5 and especially the 5 Pro. Speaking of the trackpad, the 7's glass unit feels nicer than the plastic one on the 5 and 5 Pro, but mine might be a bit uneven as there's a touch of rattle if you tap hard enough on the right side. Again, it's not nearly as annoying as other Lenovo and other-branded laptops I've used.

From a usability perspective, iCue is trash on toast. It causes weird CPU usage and clock speed fluctuations, with the former bouncing around between 2 and 9 percent utilization at idle when the program is running. Disabling it from starting with Windows along with shutting off the services brought CPU usage down to 0-1 percent, with a commensurate drop in frequency. The built-in lighting effects are fine, though I wish there was a way to turn off the LEDs in the fan grilles and the ring around the chassis separately from the keyboard.

Haven't done much performance testing. Using the stock x16 memory, Cinebench R23 scores shade under 12,000 in balanced mode and over 13,000 in high-performance. Thermals are outstanding, with the CPU idling in the 30s and only touching 80 in performance mode where frequencies would average 4.0 GHz during Cinebench. Balanced mode is up to 15 degrees cooler, though the CPU frequency seems to fluctuate more. I'll run Timespy at some point, though with the holiday it may not be for several days.

I hear high-pitched whine from the fans, but considering this has been the rule in my experience across laptop brands, I think the problem is more with me than the hardware. I went to Best Buy tonight and observed similar behavior from the floor model laptops. I'm probably just cursed with ears that are overly sensitive to this type of noise.

So while my Legion 7i is far from perfect, there isn't anything about it that makes me want to request an RMA, for now. That's more than I can say for most gaming laptops I've used in the last two years. At least I have the luxury of the holiday return period to really make up my mind, but I'm leaning toward keeping this one.

It's in HWiNFO under the "Memory Timings" section.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  5. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried 3 separate sets of RAM to make sure the sticks weren't the issue, didn't make any difference. Also let it sit for 10 minutes after pressing power button and the screen never powered on, the keyboard stays on its rainbow RGB cycle.

Could I have shorted the motherboard when swapping the RAM somehow? If that were the case the laptop wouldn't power on I assume.

6. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [QUOTE="saturnotaku, post: 11129963,

It's in HWiNFO under the "Memory Timings" section.[/QUOTE]

Is it actually called gear?

7. BlakLanner

BlakLanner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is possible, especially if you weren't careful with the metal cover that goes over the memory. I wouldn't call it particularly likely given how trivial a memory swap is but I have no other ideas off the top of my head.

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Screenshot 2021-11-23 234436.png

adampk17, Kalen and sk3tch like this.
  9. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does every 2TB Legion 7i come with two 1TB SSDs instead of a single 2TB unit?

10. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seeing thermal throttling on the CPU just during the first few minutes of boot - stock, not doing any built-in OC or anything - is that a huge bad sign or "normal" for 11980HK?