Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by saturnotaku, May 21, 2021.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Since there appears to be talk of the refreshed Legion lineup going on in two separate threads, I figured it would be prudent to start a brand new one focused on these specific laptops. I'll start with links to the Jarrod's Tech reviews of the Legion 7 and 5 Pro.

Anyone who has purchased one of these laptops, share your thoughts, benchmarks, etc here.

etern4l, Atma, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  2. NaMcO

NaMcO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had mine for a week now, the only complaint i have is that there is no way to enable XMP (as of now), so i have my CAS18 RAM running at CAS22, although it kept the 3200Mhz speed.

All the rest is pretty much great, the laptop doesn't heat much, it performs really good (i'll drop a few benchmarks here soon for reference) and the keyboard and display are of the best i've ever experienced. As a plus, i'd love to be possible to have some more power control over the CPU and GPU (undervolt CPU, a bit more power limit on the GPU, etc). I have the hardware tools to flash the GPU BIOS, but it seems that there's no BIOS editor that is compatible with Ampere yet, i wanted to try 170W on it :p

With time i hope the Laptop's BIOS will become unlocked for at least XMP profiles.

EDIT: Here are some 3DMark results with the lid closed and connected to an external 32" LG monitor via TypeC to DisplayPort:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Atma, Vasudev, c69k and 1 other person like this.
  3. shardey

shardey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What GPU did you end up getting?

I’m still waiting on this to come up for order in the US. At this rate I might end up getting the Alienware X17 depending on the price. It’s been months on end since it’s been announced we are nearing the end of May with no update for when it’ll be available.

4. NaMcO

NaMcO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's in the screenshots, "RTX3070 Laptop GPU". It performs well being the limited part that it is (140W versus 220W desktop) and the laptop allows for some overclock on the GPU through the BIOS or software such as MSI Afterburner. Undervolt is also supported but it really doesn't have much effect as the GPU cannot keep very high clocks for long.

The CPU on the other hand is completely BIOS-locked which is a waste, it would perform better with voltage adjustments, RAM XMP, etc.

5. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    As of this post's writing, the base model Legion 5 Pro with the RTX 3060 and 512 GB SSD is back in stock at Antonline for $1,499. In addition to the laptop, you also will receive copies of Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn.

alaskajoel likes this.
  6. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 5 pro 3070 version is available now (just placed an order) on the US Lenovo website and changed from coming soon to offering 2 models; a 32gb / 1tb version and a 16gb / 2tb version.

KING19 likes this.
  7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    That is a very stiff price premium over the RTX 3060 model, even more when you consider that you get two free games when ordering from Antonline.

KING19 likes this.
  8. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I couldn't find the new Legion 5 on either Amazon or the US Lenovo store but I verified that I could find it at Antonline. As I already have the two offered games, I wonder if I could get the price discounted by the appropriate amount if you took away the two games. Still, the $499 increase over last year's Legion 5 is significant for what you get: 5800H processor and a 3060. Once you get to the $1500 price point, Lenovo loses its attractiveness for me.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    We're talking about the 5 Pro, which is a different model entirely. The regular Legion 5 was announced but isn't on sale yet. It's going to start with a 3050 Ti and the same crap 1080p/120 Hz panel as the outgoing one. The price gap is likely to shrink considerably when you upgrade to the QHD display and RTX 3060.

10. shardey

shardey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was hoping to see a 3080 model available, that and at least to reconfigure the SSDs as I don’t need 2 since I have a spare one I wanted to install.