lenovo is the worst company I have ever dealt with!!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by lottdod_1999, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incontro

Incontro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agree. But also remember that in the UK, top of the range IdeaPads (Y50/Y510p) can often end up costing more (upwards of £1000) than some Think branded machines. That is a fair amount of cash.

2. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:

Well...UK was not an inexpensive place to live when I resided there 30 years ago and my understanding - which may be incorrect since I've last been there in '96 - is that the things got progressively worse in that respect. However, I will agree that something that costs a thousand quid should come a support level that matches its price tag.

Having said that, I've always bought ThinkPads with a NBD on-site warranty - going back to 2002 - and have yet to be disappointed with the level of service that we received. Obviously, YMMV.

3. Incontro

Incontro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I wasn't in the UK in 96', only been here for a few years now. But most things are a rip-off, yes. Am I correct in guessing that you haven't looked back since moving away?

Thankfully my X240 does have on-site warranty, for peace of mind. It really is miles better than having to mail in your IdeaPad, and wait literally months for shipping. There is no IdeaPad service center in the UK, all UK warranty claim's are shipped to the repair center in Germany. (Which also handles repairs for all Medion products; speaks volumes.)

4. hangchai

hangchai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanna chip in my 2 cents.

i reside in Hong Kong so warranty policies might be different at other countries. While i believe service for Thinkpads have not been as good as before, but compared to all other brands, they are still one of the best, if not the best. And with electronics getting cheaper and cheaper, after sales service levels are bound to decline.

As a general rule for us, all X, T, W series Thinkpads include 3 year international warranty and all Edge, L series 1 year with a cheap option to increase to 3 year.

Warranty service is validated with a valid invoice starting from purchase date, in case you don't have an invoice, manufacturing date from checking the serial number will be used. Correct me if i am wrong, but i think Thinkpads were the first brand to use this system.

During my years working as IT Technical Support (1995 - 2005) i have had the experience purchasing / maintaining several brands on notebooks for my company and Thinkpads have always been the most reliable, easiest to maintain and fix.

You might say that was 10 years ago, but as a 'normal' user who sometimes helps friends with their notebook problems for the past 10 years, i would still say if you want a notebook for doing work on, get a Thinkpad.

i don't like the way Lenovo is taking the Thinkpad line to, but having the Trackpoint buttons back on the latest generation, i have a feeling there is still some hope.

i do welcome suggestions from anyone for valid alternatives or other brands. As always, sharing is caring!

5. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You want solid support, you buy Business Class. Meaning you buy ThinkPads. IdeaPads are not Business Class, therefore get consumer class support. Cost when new not the issue, the market it is geared to is.

6. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    There are certain aspects of England - as well as of Europe in general - that I still miss dearly after almost 16 years of living in the U.S.

This is news to me, and I would find it unacceptable.

Fair enough. Shipping a system to another country to be repaired - regardless of its initial cost - is just...WOW, though.

My $0.02 only...

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Keep your comments relevant to the topic at-hand. I deleted a couple posts.

8. xxkyh

xxkyh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also got cancelled outlet order before, and I felt bad. However, I don't blame Lenovo, but the nature of "deal" and their ordering system. Shopping in outlet is something like waiting outside of BestBuy in Black Friday. You may spend a lot of time waiting in cold, but didn't get the "limited-quantity deal" you was aiming for.

They were not cancelling the order for no reason, they cancelled it because several people placed order at the same time, but there is only one available. I do agree that they could minimize the cancelling by using a better ordering system. Probably there is no better ordering system available on the market, since this cancelling issue is not limited to Lenovo.

It is a trade off. If you are really trying to get a great deal, you have to live with all possible issues. If you want to save time and energy, just spend more money on the service, for example, buy "business class" product and on-site warranty in the official store/website. "You get what you paid for" is a real thing.

JaneL likes this.
  9. lottdod_1999

lottdod_1999 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're not the first to say it's because other people ordered at the same time and it makes no sense! It's not like it was some flash sale that just had started or something that sold as soon as it went on sale, it was on there all night and disappeared when I ordered it

10. jedisurfer1

jedisurfer1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It sucks that it didn't work, I've missed out of plenty of deals, been snubbed, got some great ones, passed on some better ones because I knew it was a pricing mistake. I've bought so many things through hot deal forums like fatwallet. If I get a great deal, that's icing, if not I didn't lose anything except time.

That's kind of how the cookie crumbles, sometimes it goes your way, sometimes not. You'll find a better one just be patient. If there is something I've learned it's that patience always rewards you with something better.

A few people have said this to and I've found it to be true. If you use something nearly everyday just pay for the best (or best price/features/performance ratio) . If I can't get a hold of anyone with an EPP discount, a good outlet deal, or some off lease machine, I just pay the full price and I recently sold it for $350 less. I paid $1 a day, to me it was well worth it.

Now I try to buy outlet, or off lease with warranty. I had a machine with depot warranty in the US, got the box on Monday, sent it out same day, fixed and got it back Wednesday before 10am. To me the Thinkpad service is still the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.