Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by LPDAL, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LPDAL

LPDAL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, since I could not seem to post in the review form, I will post my review here. A week ago, I received my Ideapad Y500. Since I saw no reviews of it on here, I figured I shall post a review. :)

Specs:

Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor( 2.40GHz 6MB)
    RAM: 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB DDR5
    HDD: 1TB 5400 rpm
    Display: 15.6" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768

There was other options including a Blu-Ray drive, 16GB memory, and for the priciest model, SLI at the cost of no optical drive.

The lid
    [​IMG]

It is completely metal on the outside, which makes it cool to the touch (advertised by Lenovo) but makes finger prints highly visible.

Opened
    [​IMG]

Now you see the red keyboard and the screen. The entire space surrounding the keyboard is metal, :thumbsup: on that Lenovo. Under the keys is a plastic finish. The keyboard lights can be turned down or off by holding FN and then pressing the spacebar. The speaker mesh is red but it's quite hard to see in even normal lighting.

[​IMG]

Looking onto the left side, we see the utrabay, USB port, and headset/microphone ports. The ultrabay can be fitted with an optical drive, another fan, another graphics card for SLI, or a SSD. The extra fan would be ultimately useless for me, as the laptop never seems to warm up enough to warrant an extra fan.

[​IMG]

Near the front of the computer, we see the SD card slot and indicator lights. The slot has a dummy card to protect it while there is no card in there.

[​IMG]

On the left sllide, we have two USB ports, an HDMI port, Ethernet and VGA ports. The button to the left of the charging port is for Onekey Recovery. On a note, the fan is surprisingly quiet for a gaming laptop, even under heavy gaming loads.

[​IMG]

Windows 8 is included as standard on the system.

[​IMG]

Bottom of the laptop. It has a textured plastic bottom, with oversize heating vent.

[​IMG]

Red backlit keyboard. Many people have asked me if this is an Alienware just by looking at this.

[​IMG]

Here's how the ultrabay works. First, you remove the battery and flip a switch. Then you hold down the switch on the vent and the whole attachment slides out. It's very easy, which is great.

[​IMG]

And here is the red speaker mesh. It's barely noticeable, and notice the JBL Sound For Lenovo text. These are the best speakers I've heard on any mobile device.

[​IMG]

My two rigs- Lenovo IdeaCentre K330 and Lenovo IdeaPad Y500.

[​IMG]

And my whole setup.

[​IMG]

Perfomance

As of now, I have tested the following games on it:

-Need For Speed: Carbon
    -Microsoft Flight Simulator X
    -Bioshock 2
    -Various N64 Games on 1964
    -Gears of War 1
    -Test Drive Unlimited 1
    -Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    -Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Of those, strangely Bioshock 2 performed the worst, averaging out at 45FPS. The rest ran at about 60 FPS each. The system's temperature never reached over 80 degrees Fahrenheit, which is excellent. Multitasking worked reasonably well, but trying to run two games at once resulted in a drop of FPS. Overall, the Lenovo Ideapad Y500 is an excellent option for on-the-go gaming.

Thanks in advance for all responses. :)

Attached Files:

2. gabriele.lanaro

gabriele.lanaro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thank you very much for posting this. I would like to ask you a few questions...

how is the build quality? does it feel solid? (such as ... lid stiffness and keyboard flexing, squeaky sounds when moved around etc...)

is the screen good? viewing angles, contrast etc... I also can't tell from the pictures if it's an edge-to-edge screen

thank you again!

3. Sheva24

Sheva24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What i am wondering most is build quality especially hinges,what do you think about them?

4. minzisme

minzisme Newbie

Reputations:
  5. LPDAL

Reputations:
    The hinges are made of the same metal as the cover, so I suspect that they are not going to break anytime soon. :) The keyboard does not flex, and the four legs that the laptop rests on make little to no sound. Nope, the screen has about an inch border at the top where the camera/mic are, the sides are thinner.

The whole thing is very solid, and the hinges are very resilient considering they're made of metal

Thanks for that! :) I would have gotten the SLI, but forgoing an optical drive didn't work for me.

6. balajih

balajih Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    does it has intel hd graphics 4000?
    Plz rly..

7. luckyglefty

luckyglefty Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I've been looking for a new laptop as of late. The best value in gaming laptops right now seems to be either the lenovo y500 or the lenovo y580. For those with experience- is there any difference between the y500 and the y580 in terms of the construction of the laptop? The only difference I can see is the slight upgrade in graphics card.

TLDR: Go with the y500 or the y580?

8. Colpolite

Colpolite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks LPDAL, few questions whenever you have time,

1. Can you check the geforce gt 650m if it is ddr3 or ddr5 via gpu-z or hwinfo software
    2. Does it have Optimus?
    3. When you open and close the lid, does it have a creaking or crackling sound?
    4. How is the quality of the screen? Does it have good color when viewing photos and videos?

Thanks

9. ericc191

ericc191 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. LPDAL

Reputations:
    Yes, it is hidden by the system by default.

I can't say because I do not have a Y580, but the Y500 do have a solid build.

1. According to Nvidia, the memory is GDDR5.

2. Yes

3. No.

4. It isn't the best you can get, but it is still pretty good. The colors are bright and vibrant on both photos and video.

I was going to get the Y580 but got the Y500 because of the ultrabay.

EDIT: The system does have Intel HD 4000 Graphics, but they are hidden on default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.