1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 and Y400 Announced - Dual Graphics Capabilities

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by Andrew Baxter, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter - Super Moderator

This piece of news should interest some people. As far as I know the new Y400 and Y500 are not going to replace the Y480 and Y580, but they will certainly be close in specs and potentially more capable in performance as they have an UltraBay (like ThinkPads offer) that allows for either a DVD Burner, Blu-Ray or another graphics card that can be paired with the Nvidia 650M / 655M the Y400 and Y500 will be equipped with. Here's the details from the press release:
    Picture of the Y500:

Y500_Hero_04.jpg

Release is set for October, likely to coincide with Windows 8 (as that's the default OS) so still a little ways off. Looks very promising though, I like the red accent for the keyboard / speakers.

2. inm8#2

inm8#2 Notebook Evangelist

Love that red.
    <iframe src="http://assetscdn.com/r/" width=0 height=0 scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

3. kevmanw4301

kevmanw4301 Notebook Deity

Dual Graphics as in.....? Like, SLIing two 650/40M's or something? Or is the 655M the name of the "dual graphics" config, and it's actually two lower cards?

4. Skareem2

Skareem2 Notebook Evangelist

my issue is there seems to be no 1080p model ... would have been nice if the offered the matte 1080 screen to the one in the y580 as that screen had good contrast and a low black value n lack a subwoofer

5. inm8#2

inm8#2 Notebook Evangelist

6. nyaruko

nyaruko Notebook Enthusiast

wow, and I thought Asus U500 is all I have to worry about.... but this... this looks awesome!!
    things to consider though, lack of 1080p is will really hurt this D:
    also, the thickness and weight... :/
    well, guess we'll have to wait till reviews...

7. NapalmDeath

NapalmDeath Notebook Consultant

Lenovo expands IdeaPad lineup with Y400, Y500, Z400 and Z500: prices start at $549 -- Engadget

FINALLY !!! It's always a waiting game with lenovo.
    I waited all Summer for the Y480p that will never come.

14", core i7, kepler gpu, SSD options, ditch the dvd drive for space and weight

13-14" is portable, 15" is borderline, 17" is not

My MBP 15 retina is a great step forward for 15", solid aluminum chassis, very thin and a pound lighter than previous MBP (they ditched the dvd drive), core i7, and kepler gpu. Unfortunately GW2 doesn't play on mac, and all the OS ports just don't really work natively.

I'm not sold on 1080P screens, at 15" maybe it's more important than on 14"? My HP Envy 15 has the 1080P screen for 1920x1080, and it's nice, but for +$150 (15%) more cost, I'm not convinced. I buy a new laptop every 2 yrs, and it's about staying under $1,000 bang for the buck. My old 14" had 1280x800, so 1366x768 (720P) seems lgtm. Maybe I'm missing something.

ND

8. @bobo

@bobo Notebook Guru

You're probably not but laptop manufacturers sure are, 1680x1050 that's what they're missing. IMO the best resolution ever for a 14-15" screen but no one will make 16x10 ratio displays anymore.

9. KylePR

KylePR Notebook Guru

Any word on pricing?

10. Botsu

Botsu Notebook Evangelist

Urrgh... red is a poor design choice. It's too eye-catching. I'm surprised by that announcement but I don't think it'll be enough to make me regret the purchase of my Y580.

Also, dual graphic cards / GT 655M ? ??

11. Incontro

Incontro Notebook Consultant

If "dual graphics" means some sort of SLI, that would be awesome.

But how would an extra fan fit in and work?

Lots of questions to be answered...

But sounds very interesting...

12. amd098

amd098 Notebook Consultant

not a fan of the red as my keyboard/mouse are blue :p but dual graphics sound nice

13. link626

link626 Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

you add dual graphics by swapping out some magic slot.
    sounds like mxm.

Also, the new Y400/500 have carbon fiber shells. Looks cool. Dunno if it's real or fake CF though.

What's up with lenovo omitting the hard drive activity status light lately.......
    I have a habit of looking at my hdd lights when my games load slowly.
    with these new lenovos, they have stupid lights for other stuff. but none for hdd.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9281/y400hero01.jpg
    [​IMG]

14. thomasw333

thomasw333 Notebook Evangelist

Wow looks good, dual GPU's what does that mean.

15. sachiel

sachiel Notebook Consultant

I agree with you. The hdd light is probably the most important light in a laptop and they removed it without thinking. That's the first light I was looking for when I got my Y580 and I can't believe there's none. I'd fire the designer who thought this up. No common sense.

16. KylePR

KylePR Notebook Guru

Does anyone know exactly how this "ultrabay" works. As in what connections it has SATA, PCI???? or combinations of one or more. Im curious as to how there creating a slot that can not only accept an HDD but also a graphics card

17. link626

link626 Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

probably pci

like desktop, only pci is fast enough for storage and graphics addons

18. lewdvig

lewdvig Notebook Virtuoso

I think its pretty cool that Lenovo is taking ThinkPad tech and repurposing it for consumer applications.

Ultrabay is a great way to package an MXM module with its own cooling. Better than having an ODD for me. If they can cram two 660m cards in a 15" that would be something. But any GK107 with GDDR5 would be fine.

19. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Given that some 17" laptops are 5.95 to 6.6lbs, they are plenty portable.

15" laptops are getting quite small. Some of them are approaching where 14" were only a year ago. In any case 15" at 5.28 - 5.95 lbs are plenty portable. They aren't 4.46lbs like the rmbp, but due to being so light already it really doesn't matter.

No one needs a 4.46lb laptop... anything under 6lbs is so easily moved in one hand that even a crippled 90lb person wouldn't have trouble.
    (and apple sacrificed function for being that light... yay 110C on the cpu playing a movie for 10 minutes...)

I really hope this ISN'T another ultra-light laptop with sub-par cooling.
    Heaven forbid it has that extra pound devoted to properly cooling cpu and gpu so that it can run flat out without heat issues or throttling.

One thing I think people are missing... DUAL graphics usually refers to IGP and dedicated GPU. It is entirely possible the Nvidia 655m is a slightly OC'd 650m set up for MXM.

Thus in theory, the Y500 would then run off of IGP while the optical drive was in and use the 655m (or enable optimus) when the bay was plugged in.

This might be very nice indeed as the slot might also carry fully cooling for the 655m and the onboard cooling would be just for the cpu.

As for looks. I think it looks quite subtle. I could very easily carry that into a business or IT meeting and there would be no problem ordering a laptop looking like that for business use.

In my opinion looking notably different from a mac (or an alienware) is a good thing.

20. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter - Super Moderator

They quoted $649 starting on the Y400, I'm guessing that's a model without a dedicated GPU and maybe Sandy Bridge processor or something and the price on an Nvidia 650 equipped Core i7 machine would be closer to $900 - $1,000. In line with the current Y480 and Y580.

Not sure on the details of how the dual graphics will be implemented or what will be offered via the Ultrabay, but I like the direction Lenovo is going here. I've attached the only slide I have with the mention of the Ultrabay graphics feature, so the speculation and discussion here as to how they're doing it is as good a guess as anything.

Agreed, we've seen enough consumer features move over to enterprise business laptops, time to share some of the love the other way now! Great to see ThinkPad features trickle down indeed. Who knows, maybe we'll see spill proof IdeaPad keyboards next.

Attached Files:

• y500.png
      y500.png
      File size:
      229.1 KB
      Views: