Lenovo Ideapad Y410p won't power on... No power light?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by jack53, Jan 20, 2016.

1. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    Uh... no I didn't. I haven't touched it since the first try... will be doing that this weekend before I take it apart again. I wanted to go get some tape that they use on computers at the local computer shop first. So wish me luck this weekend.

To clarify, I had no green power light, but the second light next to it, the battery light came on flashing orange, then after a few minutes turned into a steady white light. Then after a half hour I unplugged the laptop.

2. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Does cooler work?
    May it be that steady white means fully charged while blinking means charging?
    You did connect all wires, didn't you? Except webcam?

3. jack53

Reputations:
    I'm deaf, so I don't hear beeps, fans or any kind of noise. :( Yes, pretty sure I hooked up everything... but I will make sure this time around.

4. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sorry to read that but you can feel airflow if fan spins.

5. jack53

Reputations:
    OK, this weekend I will try what James D suggested and what the guy who I got the MB off eBay suggested... he is being helpful:

I'll give you a list of things to check/do before going further.

1. Did you make sure and lock the CPU after installing it? I've done this multiple times and it will show the exact symptoms you're having.
    2. Remove everything that isn't required to power on the laptop (Disc drive, HDD, SSD, Battery, ETC) and then see if it powers on.
    3. Remove flea power. Remove the battery and power adapter and hold down the power button for 60 seconds.
    4. Remove the keyboard and triple check the power button ribbon cable. You wouldn't believe how many times I didn't connect it properly.
    From James D on notebook review forum: Try take out battery, AC, press power 7 sec and turn on. If nothing then take out battery, AC, RAM, turn it on without RAM, turn it off in half a minute by pressing power 7 sec, put RAM back in and try.

James D likes this.
  6. jack53

Reputations:
    None of the above worked, so I completely tore it down all the way to the fan/heatsink. Will take that off tomorrow as I don't want any dirt on the cpu/gpu overnight. I will slowly put it back together double checking all connections etc tomorrow as it's almost midnight here and hope it works. Meanwhile any tips appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jack53

Reputations:
    Put it back together minus the compartment cover. I especially tripple checked the CPU to make sure it was locked and made sure power button ribbon cable was secure.

No joy :( All it's showing is the blinking orange battery light.

So what is next??? Maybe order and replace the LENOVO IDEAPAD Y410p SERIES LED POWER BUTTON BOARD NS-A032 NS-A034
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171993885823?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I'm into this laptop for over $900 now counting what I bought it for, upgrades and now the MB.
    One EXPENSIVE brick.

8. jack53

Reputations:
    Would a bad power button board be a reason not having a power light and not power on? or is this problem something else like the DC Power Jack plug in cable?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. jack53

Reputations:
    Surely someone has had a problem like this one?

10. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Unless you really scewed something physically neither power board nor anything else of this matter is damaged.
    What I still think is that either new motherboard is DOA or this might be BIOS problem where moterboard is acting against new RAM and CPU change.

I know what I would do for further analize but that is a no go for someone like you. I would use programmer with clips and copy BIOS image from BIOS chip from your old motherboard to new motherboard hoping this would work (in case your old RAM modules are still kept). But that is troublesome work starting from paying for programmer which might not be needed (8$) and ending a possibility that programmer won't be compatible with mobo or BIOS chip.
    So sorry but the easiest way is to return motherboard to the seller :(