Lenovo Ideapad Y410p won't power on... No power light?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by jack53, Jan 20, 2016.

1. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    Went to turn on my Lenovo Ideapad Y410p laptop and nothing happened! No led lights with power source on and battery in. When I used it two days ago, I ran AVG and spy-bot and everything was fine. Used it a little bit and turned it off. Now nothing??? Did the power/battery disconnect with holding power button for 30 seconds... nothing. Both batteries 9 cell and 6 cell had full charge, tried my other Lenovo charger... no go. A surge couldn't have happened as the laptop is plugged into same strip as my other lenovo laptop is and that one is working fine.

2. jack53

Reputations:
    Why was this moved from Lenovo to Ideapad & Essential?
    I had it in the Lenovo as it is a problem that happens from time to time to all Lenovo notebooks, not just a specific sub-name.
    More people would see it in the Lenovo category and being moved is probably why I haven't had a response yet...

3. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmmm I'm sure you've tried this before, but have to attempted to turn it on via the one recovery button?

Another thing that might work is removing everything attached to a USB port as well as the SD card slot if you haven't already.

4. jack53

Reputations:
    Yep, done that plus
    We now know, power drain failed.

No activity lights even with battery charging led.

Not turning on even with known good charged batteries.

No power even with known good ac adapter.

Tried plugging it directly on the wall and press novo key (number 1 page 7) to turn it on instead.

Checked if the power port shows any signs of burnt / damage / looseness .

Pressed Novo key using a charged battery.

Remove battery, harddrive , memory and other accessories and plug directly with a known working adapter and or with a charged battery.

Nothing worked so far, no led light, no beeps. Sounds like a Motherboard problem.

I don't want to send it to Lenovo, rather fix it myself. Can't find any motherboards on eBay that's not shipped from China... where else do I look?

5. berrykerry789

berrykerry789 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try unplugging all everything but the harddrive (including the hdd caddy if you have one), then rebooting again.

6. jack53

Reputations:
    Did that more than once. No joy.
    I had the charger checked, it's good. Checked for power at power supply, it's good. So it is pointing to motherboard and that is gonna be a BIG problem as the only one I found in the USA was $560 :0 My GOSH, I paid $600 for my notebook, then $350 for more memory, 500GB SSD, 9 cell battery etc. All the other ones were from China in the $200-$300 range. It is a 25-45 day to get here shipping.

I know how to swap out the motherboard, but lots of horror stories about them not fitting right or quitting after 2 months. I guess they can heat up (and other tricks) a bad board so it will work for a couple months, past the 30 day warranty period. So I have a problem, try to fix it or have a expensive brick.

7. jack53

Reputations:
    Still debating which route to go? [​IMG]

1. Get a motherboard online. So far in USA, I've only found one and it's $540!!! All the rest are from China ranging from $200 and up. Long shipping wait for these, longer yet if I have to send one back. I'm told by local computer tech stores that success rates are not very good... most tech stores won't do laptop motherboards because of that. I contacted 5 local reputable tech stores to get info even though I plan on doing this myself.

2. Get a used y410p off eBay. Cheapest I found so far are $500 and up... way up. I bidded on one for $475 and lost last weekend. These are in USA. I haven't attempted to try China yet.

3. Go with China? Since Lenovo is made in China, most parts are from there and are cheaper. Just the long shipping wait.

3. Do nothing... resign to the fact I have a expensive BRICK.

I'm into this laptop for $600 plus upgrades, $350, total: $950 as of November 2015. [​IMG]

Any of the above can be expensive. I have rushed into anything because of that. What would YOU do?

Question, the user & service manual is for Y410P & Y510P... so would a Y510P MB work in my Y410P?

8. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What would I do?
    Well I already was in a similar situation with my y400. After accidentally frying my motherboard, I needed a replacement. Considering thr cost of standalone motherboards I decided to simply buy another laptop. At least I figured I would have spare parts. Unfortunately that motherboard only lasted a couple of months, but I just got unlucky I'd say. My original y400 motherboard lasted over 2 years and this y410p has been going strong since October 2015.

Would a y510p motherboard work in the y410p?
    No, sorry mate. It's physically larger than the y410p motherboard, so while technically most of the parts would connect it wouldn't fit in the chassis. A y400 motherboard would work, but then you'd just have a y400 not a y410p.

jack53 likes this.
  9. jack53

Reputations:
    I put this laptop away as MB died on me and was too expensive to fix, as used MB cost around $500 :0 Anyways if I recall, I got the battery off eBay.

I see I need to change my sig as I have a Samsung laptop now.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Ah bummer, oddly that's the cost of the entire laptop these days.

Do you recall if the battery from oem or a 3rd party? That might help narrow down my search.

11. jack53

Reputations:
    Actually, I still have the laptop... it's just all torn apart as I was trying to fix it. I was just waiting for a MB that's cheap enough. If I order from China, they're cheap enough, but the wait is long and if it is bad, I'm stuck again as it wouldn't be worth shipping back to China. It's been broke for a year now and prices on eBay and elsewhere is still not down. :(

I looked and the battery was a 3rd party 9 cell (as Lenovo don't have a 9 cell) I got off eBay.
    It was working great and giving me about 5-6 hours before draining.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  12. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hmmm, I see one for 120$ shipped, is it still too much or are we talking not about 410p?