]]>

Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P Owners and Information thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by jedolley, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Pretty awesome. Sadly I was unable to source the 9-Cell battery in Canada.

Also bought myself a nice lil refurb X230 for cheap (220CAD/170USD) which came with an IPS screen and a new battery, and am now using it as my new secondary, while my desktop serves as my main gaming/production machine now. I'm close to retiring the Y410p, though it's served me pretty well for the 4.5 years I've owned it. It survived university, 2 drops and countless bicycle rides and being thrown in a backpack a lot, with only minor hinge damage.

By the way, how does the 755M SLI hold up in modern games at 1600x900? I assume 2GB VRAM is still plenty for that resolution...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow that sucks. Living in the US really distorts my perspective on the availability of slightly obscure things, like a 3rd party battery for a four year old laptop.

Finding a cheap X230, on the other hand, is pretty awesome. Yeah, I can see replacing the y410p with a smaller lighter laptop that's just as capable in daily tasks. Good on it for surviving the trials of life though lol. I'll probably keep mines for a while longer however since I don't have the need for a main desktop PC.

As for gaming, it's fine I suppose, and yes 2GB seems to still be enough for 900p. The only game I really play nowadays is Overwatch for the most part, while doesn't require much GPU power. I may do some tests with the other modern games I have, but for reference, the 755m SLI performs a tad better than the MX150 (which also has 2GB of VRAM) https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...pecs-of-the-GT-1030-for-Laptops.223530.0.html. Not bad in 2017 tbh.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  3. LanceAvion

Reputations:
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I always wanted t oget swap my y510p for a 410p, never happened though...

How does SLI work for you? Mine crashes in everything, been debating just making it a plex server in place of my primary laptop right now...

Though I have to replace the PSU on it now, started clicking and wont power on anymore T-T

5. LanceAvion

Reputations:
    SLI is completely stable for me. I've had my 755m4 ultrabay since December 2015 and it still works flawlessly. It sucks that your y510p has been giving you such a hassle. Hopefully whatever is wrong with it now is cheap to fix.

That said has SLI been unstable for you from day 1, or has it gotten worse over time?

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Well to be fair, this y510p isnt the original I bought on release, which worked fine. I've had issues with this thing since I got it last year in a trade. I got it with the desktop GPU adapter in mind to begin with but havent gotten around to it quite yet, while messing with SLI it just doesnt seem to work well or just outright crashing. I modded/replaced the fan with the m14x r2 fan and added liquid metal which brought temps down a lot. The mainboard 755m @ 1.2v iirc never passed 65c.

I was going to replace the fan in the ultrabay 755m but some IRL stuff happened and it just never worked out. With modification you can fit the mainboard fan into the ultrabay GPU heatsink and it works quite a bit better than the stock fan.

I should probably just stop being lazy and reflash the GPU's and mainboard to make sure its all uniform. Which is what I was about to do when I discovered the PSU died lol

7. LanceAvion

Reputations:
    Ah I see, but that begs the question what happened to your original y510p? Also why did you trade for a second one?

Funny that something similar happened to me as well. Originally I had a y400, not a y410p. One day I decided to try and install a 900p screen in the y400, by "modifying" a cable before plugging it into the motherboard. Of course that fried it, so I grabbed a second used y400. Unfortunately, the GPU in the second y400 died soon after, leaving it effectively useless. So I sold both my 3630QM CPUs, kept the rest of the y400 stuff for parts, and grabbed this y410p. That was in October 2015 and my y410p has been going strong ever since.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I sold it (first one), thought that I wouldnt need it when I had the Dell m6600 at the time.

Truthfully Im not too much of a fan of the y510p, well more specifically its keyboard. I have learned that I prefer the old Dell precision line for its keyboard. The y510p got too warm and the keys would make my fingertips sweat. I traded my SFF desktop for another y510p after learning of the desktop GPU adapter that works on the y410p/y510p laptops. I was thinking of going that route (even have the adapter) but not sure. The reason for the trade was because I couldnt bring it with me to Korea at the time. It was a move to try and keep some kind of PC instead of just losing it all.

Thinking about seriously trying my hand at learning game development and would like to have more cores to work with. The 4700mq is still quite a CPU but im not sure if it will handle my multitasking habits. I have the p157sm-(a?) but my brother is using it for now, I guess he intends to buy it from me and that could pay for the rest needed for the desktop adapter (need GPU, PSU)

9. Laura Engel

Laura Engel Newbie

Reputations:
    Nive

10. sunkenship

sunkenship Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.
    i'm new here, i've been long using my y410p (since2015) and still do fine with it. but i've decide to start my new mod to this one.
    i've unlocked my bios using bios mod method. now i'm using intel 7260N (not AC, wish it were but i bought the wrong one).
    then i've used my m.2 slot for m.2 lenovo ssd 2242 256GB. this machine still running fast as well on my windows10. but now my probs comes when i need a larger area on my desktop. i've planned on using 2nd display but.. i want to mod this one first.
    my y410p come with HD display(1366x768). i want to change it to HD+(1600x900) or FHD (1920x1080).

i want to know what part number i should buy. and what to check on my laptop to make it installed on my y410p

my product number is 20216

so anyhelp would appreciate and will update my progress here.

thanks in advanced.