Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P Owners and Information thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by jedolley, Jun 10, 2013.

1. miwiken

miwiken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's discussion
    I think it's a little strange too that no one who bought it left any feedback on ebay. The discussion of the adapter seems to be going on over at techinferno.

Someone made a video who has gotten it working though

It only works with amd cards, probably because of a whitelist, you need a psu to power the card, and bios version 2.04 or 2.07.

2. miwiken

miwiken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Only 6 of those external adapters ordered so far Gerald needs 10 for a new batch.

3. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
  4. angel_grin

angel_grin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    that cable is the lcd connector.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

jack53 likes this.
  5. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys. Please help, I'm still not able to fix my Y410p laptop and get it to charge? It just doesn't change on its own without having to power the laptop on without the battery and putting the battery back in. I have to do that all the time, it's super inconvenient and isn't practical for a laptop. I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I really need a fix?? I'm using Windows 7 but thinking of going back to Windows 8.1 or go to Windows 10 after Windows 8.1. Please guys. Many thanks

6. skavi

skavi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there any chance someone has a decent, relatively high resolution image of the motherboard under the wireless card? I broke a trace there and need to know where it leads.

[​IMG]

7. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Jobine! I owe you some battery test results! I actually did the tests way back when I talked about them but I forgot to post them :confused:. Anyways here are the results:

62 w/h
    99% Condition
    Runtime: 3h 36min 46sec

72 w/h #1
    102% Condition
    Runtime: 4h 18min 51sec

72w/h #2
    104% Condition
    Runtime: 5h 30min 40sec

84w/h (9 Cell)
    82% Condition
    Runtime: 5h 32min 09sec

Just a note, with every battery except 72w/h#1 I used the laptop as normal, mostly web browsing and typing things. For the 72w/h #1 battery, I purposely played a lot of youtube videos and twitch streams to see how much that would affect the battery life compared to 72w/h #2. For all the battery tests I had my screen brightness at 50%, with my CPU undervolted by -90mV on the core, cache, and iGPU. The CPU is set to 2.2GHz non turbo in the BIOS, and my turbo clocks were set to my daily settings with 1,2,3, and 4 cores set to 3.0,2.9,2.8, and 2.7GHz respectively. That all being said I typically don't run battery tests so my results are most likely imperfect.

I don't feel like tearing down my y410p, but I do have a couple y400 motherboards lying around. The layout between them should be identical so I took a couple (admittedly crappy) pictures of a y400 motherboard. Just circle where you'd like to see in more detail and I'll take a clear close up picture of that spot.

http://imgur.com/a/aN6vb

Jobine likes this.
  8. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
  9. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Pretty awesome. Sadly I was unable to source the 9-Cell battery in Canada.

Also bought myself a nice lil refurb X230 for cheap (220CAD/170USD) which came with an IPS screen and a new battery, and am now using it as my new secondary, while my desktop serves as my main gaming/production machine now. I'm close to retiring the Y410p, though it's served me pretty well for the 4.5 years I've owned it. It survived university, 2 drops and countless bicycle rides and being thrown in a backpack a lot, with only minor hinge damage.

By the way, how does the 755M SLI hold up in modern games at 1600x900? I assume 2GB VRAM is still plenty for that resolution...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  10. LanceAvion

Reputations:
    Wow that sucks. Living in the US really distorts my perspective on the availability of slightly obscure things, like a 3rd party battery for a four year old laptop.

Finding a cheap X230, on the other hand, is pretty awesome. Yeah, I can see replacing the y410p with a smaller lighter laptop that's just as capable in daily tasks. Good on it for surviving the trials of life though lol. I'll probably keep mines for a while longer however since I don't have the need for a main desktop PC.

As for gaming, it's fine I suppose, and yes 2GB seems to still be enough for 900p. The only game I really play nowadays is Overwatch for the most part, while doesn't require much GPU power. I may do some tests with the other modern games I have, but for reference, the 755m SLI performs a tad better than the MX150 (which also has 2GB of VRAM) https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...pecs-of-the-GT-1030-for-Laptops.223530.0.html. Not bad in 2017 tbh.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  11. LanceAvion

Reputations: