Lenovo Backlit Keyboards

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Sonnie Parker, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I searched for this but was unable to find anyone talking about it... so either my ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 is defective or it's something everyone is living with and it's not bothering them.

My backlit keyboard on my ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 does not stay on. Even during use, it goes off from time to time. It also has to be turned on each time I power on the unit.

I've tried the Thinkpad LED Control add-on that is on Github, and it works sometimes... but it's not consistent.

I realize Lenovo is trying to keep power consumption down and they don't think we are smart enough to know when we need to shut off something that can use up the battery, but they should also consider making the computer smart enough to know when it's plugged in all the time that it doesn't have to shut down the backlit keyboard. At least give us an option for always on.

I guess I surprised that there is no more discussion about it... or that I'm the only person that is in need of always on backlit keyboard... or a truly functional backlit keyboard. Perhaps trivial to most.

Regards,
    Sonnie

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I do not own one, but one possibility based on what I have experienced with other systems is there may be a BIOS setting that allows you to make the keyboard backlight always on, always off, or dynamic. If you haven't already checked there it might be worth investigating.

Starlight5 likes this.