1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

LEGAL Windows 7 Download Links (Just like Vista before!!!)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by v3loc1ty2.0, Oct 23, 2009.

1. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello, Rob, welcome to NBR, take a look here.
    If you need additional help, don't hesitate to ask.

2. ronferri

ronferri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can still download the images from Microsoft Direct for free. Make sure you backup your valid serial key first.

3. Riddhy916

Riddhy916 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    guys can i do the same for Win 8 64 bit? I dont have the COA in my m17r4

4. ooseven

ooseven Newbie

Reputations:
    No you can't use one key for all.

5. degree

degree Newbie

Reputations:
    im trying to DL the x64 HP version w sp1 but link is not working,or is it just me being stupid?

6. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No, it's not just you. The links are dead again.

7. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
  8. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
  9. barminhtri

barminhtri Newbie

Reputations:
    how can i download? please help

10. Fat Dragon

Fat Dragon Just this guy, you know?

Reputations:
    Little help here?

I'm installing Win 7 on my wife's laptop from the traditional (Taiwan) Chinese Professional x64 iso (my wife's Chinese, though I would have liked MS to offer a simplified Chinese version). I removed ei.cfg and created a USB installer, but it's not bootable, so I had to install from the existing copy of Win 7. I wasn't given the option to format the drive, so now the drive has two copies of Win7 on it, and I also wasn't given any option to select the version or the language of the installation, which I understand is the purpose of removing ei.cfg.

I'm going to download the English Pro x64 iso, remove ei.cfg, and see if that one is bootable and can give me installation options so I can get a copy of Home Premium (my license level) running in simplified or at least traditional Chinese, but does anybody have any advice for anything else I should be doing?

11. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    I had the same problem trying to download a Chinese version of Windows. But Microsoft has made them available only on the mainland. So another friend of mine used Thunder to have the OS downloaded from his university in China. We could find no other way other than finding the rare torrents which I don't trust.

I tried putting the traditional Chinese OS on the laptop before I went through the circus mentioned above. She was not comfortable even though many things were similar. She wanted to shrug it off but I didn't let her. Her facial expressions were not pleasant. Removed the whole thing and restarted the process.

Rebuilding the image after removing the ei.cfg file hasn't worked for me in quite a while. Don't really know what I was doing wrong but I use the Professional version only, so no troubleshooting on my part.

Not much help but wanted to put it out there.

12. Fat Dragon

Reputations:
    Actually, that's quite helpful - I followed your lead and downloaded Thunder to nab a copy of Win 7 HP x64 in simplified Chinese. Now I'm banging my head against the bootable USB drive issue. Microsoft's Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool mounts the ISO onto the USB drive, but it can't make it bootable. It advises me to look in to bootsect.exe, but all I can find on that is advice on making a bootable x64 installer from an x86 PC, and I'm running Win 8.1 x64 on the computer I'm using to create the USB.

Anyone have any advice on making this bootable, or should I just install out of the Windows installation? The problem I'm running into is that installing from Windows doesn't allow me to format the drive before installation, so instead of a nice clean installation and drive, I end up with a bunch of the old mess from the hard drive still intact, so I'd much rather format the drive and install from boot.

13. Falco152

Falco152 Notebook Demon

Reputations:
    Kinda harder to make a W7 USB-bootable under W8 if I remember correctly. bootsect will throw a missing file error.

Work around for me was to install W7 as a virtual virtual machine, copy the bootsect folder out.
    Execute bootsect under the W7 VM on the the USB.

Alternative, you can try boot from Network if your laptop supports it (PXE Boot). - There is a workaround if it doesn't.

Use Serva for Windows. Very easy to setup.
    http://www.vercot.com/~serva/

14. octiceps

octiceps Notebook Profit

Reputations:
  15. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    How to create a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive | Ars Technica
    The manual method (mentioned in the octiceps post) would be the one I would use to make sure everything is in order. It is painful but works with no issues. Please see if the bonus part of the article (I have linked to) works if you have the time. I have never tried that before.

16. Falco152

Falco152 Notebook Demon

Reputations:
    Yes, that works as well. It is basically the same as octiceps posted except it is purely in cli and without uefi.

It didn't occur to me about about the difference with bootsect with fat32/ntfs.:eek:

17. Fat Dragon

Reputations:
    This put me on the right track. I used the Envy 14's temporary Win 7 Pro installation to create the boot drive and it worked a treat. Started it up five minutes ago and finally saw that beautiful option to format the installation partition before installing.

I used a tool "eicfg removal utility" to remove ei.cfg, but it's halfway through the second step of installation and the only language or version options I've seen are the same language and keyboard options you can change in Control Panel at any time after installation.

18. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    As far as I can remember, the original ei.cfg removal tool worked only on pre-sp1 media.
    I think I saw an updated version of the tool in the MDL forums but I didn't look further yet.