Least resource hungry & free anti-virus

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Not_Neo, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not_Neo

Not_Neo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I opted for panda cloud-liked the concept and its eating very little resources

2. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Microsoft Security Essentials is great IMO

3. scythie

scythie I died for your sins.

Reputations:
    Avira has been very light on my system. I've been a very happy user...

But lately, when I upgraded to Avira 10, it's been a bit less intuitive to use. I dunno what happened.

So, is MSE really simple to use? Is it very effective? And is it really light?

4. rmw82

rmw82 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    MSE is extremely easy to use... You won't even know it is there if you allow auto updates. It updates in the background without bothering you with a dialog box.

It seems light on resources. I have an older XP machine and it has never appeared to take too many resources. My AVG prior to MSE didn't seem to bother my machine too much either, however, the update dialog box every day was annoying. Plus, I got tired of the ads I was getting because I was using the free version. MSE gives me no ads and I am serious when I say that after you install it, you won't even know it is there.

5. DarkSilver

DarkSilver MSI Afterburner

Reputations:
    Avira Antivir Personal 9 and Avast! 5 Home Edition. Both of these are very light resources and they're FREE! Protections are superb too!

Else, you can try Microsoft Security Essential. It's slightly heavier than the 2 mentioned above. It's performance/protection is on par with them.

6. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    I'm using Panda Cloud AV as well....seems very light, wanted to check out it's nano engine...seems good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.