1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Least pre loaded software, best company to buy from

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by mgray, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgray

mgray Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Who has the least amount of pre loaded software, or who has the easiest to remove (heard some company's make it hard to remove) and who supplies disks, especially OS, or recovery disks, or....you get the idea, if they could all supply the same hardware you wanted, who's the best?

2. superman23

superman23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably a barebones system (Asus, Compal...) where you buy the OS separately

3. Amol

Amol APH! NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
  4. mgray

mgray Notebook Geek

Reputations:

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Even though the your notebook says Dell or HP, it is actually designed and manufactured by an ODM. Amongst major brands Fujitsus and ThinkPads are known to have very little bloatware. On any lower end notebook you are going to have a considerable amount of bloatware because that is one of the ways they offset the cost of making notebooks. Perhaps you should consider the FAQ and post back.

6. superman23

superman23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

7. claudione314

claudione314 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ODM = Original Design Manufacturers, those companies that design and build their own laptops (as opposed to companies who acquire the design from others and then rebrand it with their own brand).

As for your question, don't forget you can always re-install the whole OS, though that's a hassle sometimes.

C.

8. Leshii

Leshii Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell has a free option for their XPS laptops called "do not load any additional software"

9. fenix

fenix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, I would check out milestonepc. They have lots of models from ASUS that all would have limited bloatware installed, and also lots of barebone models you can config to meet your needs.

http://www.milestonepc.com