LCD damage by alcohol

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Geos1, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If all else fails, you could try wiping it with a damp denim cloth - I used to remove small scratches from CDs and phone displays (or rather, the plastic cover) back in the day... It works like a micro-abrasive - if your display was glossy and now is foggy, it might help...

2. Geos1

Geos1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes the screen is glossy afterall. To be quite honest i think the problem is not as bad as i first noticed it to i will try all your suggestions. Here Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting is a bad photo. Dont look at the color quality that is the cameras problem but the differences it has in different areas where it appears foggy. The problem is more viewable at an angle in real life.

3. techgadget52

techgadget52 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well i never applied any alcohol or detergent or household cleaner ever. The best way to clean your laptop screen which i have tested after reading from many sources is that take a cotton cloth, apply water to it, and then twist it until the cloth is wet and no water is dripping. Then slowly apply that cloth on your screen and let the wetness dry. Make sure to clean it in one similar fashion, for example horizontal or vertical movement only. You will see that your screen will look like totally new.

4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I use Windex all the time on the screen ONLY, slightly dampened cloth. For everything else lens cleaner for Electronic DSLR camera's works well. It is expensive though.

5. MoInSTL

MoInSTL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I only use Klear Screen. It's non-toxic and while a bit pricey, a little goes a long way. I have a small bottle that has lasted over a year.

6. deekeasy

deekeasy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  7. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    I have repaired a number of dull/hazed screens with Meguiars Gold Class Quik Wax. I simply put some on a clean terry cloth, and with a swirling motion I spread it over the screen, and simply buff with a microfibre cloth. Sure your finger prints show a little more, but it really does work.

As mentioned, rubbing alcohol can partially dissolve certain plastics, so consider yourself lucky you used 70% and not 99% pure rubbing alcohol. There is no use in pointing the finger, there are fixes, and one is to apply car wax to the screen. It helps build up a layer of protection which the rubbing alcohol helped to dissolve.

Chris

8. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Wouldn't have though of the wax. Good idea but did he damage the plastic or is it just the normal film left over from 70%. I know I used it once and learned that lesson quickly. Windex cleaned it for me though but it took several times as that film seemed to almost have imbeded itself. This was on a glare screen not matte.............

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You have two options to clean a screen:

1) A micro fibre cloth.
    2) A mildly moist cloth for more stubborn marks.

Anything else is silly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.