Latitude E6410 - with integrated graphic or 512MB NVIDIA NVS 3100M - Heat

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by orofek, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orofek

orofek Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I have problem with my original order for latitude with integrated graphic card as I don't need any graphical performance.
    I saw now that there is a "fasttrack" option with the 512MB NVIDIA NVS 3100M but I'm afraid of heating problems.

Anyone can mention differences between the models?
    And for general - the system is getting hot? My friend has thinkpad T410 with i7 and integrated graphic card and it stays very cool even under little stress and hours of working.
    Heating is the most important thing for me and if the E6410 has a warming issue I'll choose the T410.

Hope to get help asap because i want to place the order today or tomorrow.
    Thank You.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's daft of Dell fasttrack: If you want a faster CPU or 1440 x 900 display then you have to put up with the nVidia graphics.

How about popping round to Dell Outlet and seeing if there is something there that is ready made with what you need and save some money while you are there. There's currently over 100 to choose from. And you may be able to track down a 20% discount coupon.

John

3. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unless you are using 3d application, or are a gaming enthusiast, you're better off avoiding the NVIDIA graphics, which seem to be power hungry (up to 14 watt!) and fairly mediocre. With the i Core generation, Intel integrated graphics are greatly improved and very much capable of 1080P streaming.

I'd also advise you to individually configure your E6410, since it costs a lot less than the "Fasttrack" systems. I know time can be of the essence, but I've often been amazed by how quickly a notebook PC can be flown in from China, and how slow the shipping can be in the United States. I always get my Dell business systems a week earlier than the initial estimate.

4. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The NVS 3100M shouldn't consume that much more than the integrated graphics but as stated, evaluate what you use on your notebook, since most users only need integrated graphics.

5. orofek

orofek Newbie

Reputations:
    so the dilemma is whether to take the upgraded display (wxga+) with the Nvidia or taking the regulard display (wxga) with the integrated gpu.
    I should conclude considering heating, battery life vs. performance and display quality and price.

I can't afford waiting to the self configured machines because I'm really short in time.

Relating to the Dell outlet - I don't want to buy a refurbrished machine but only a new one. how can i be sure that the machine was not been used at all?
    Is there a possibility to "fasttrack" the outlet order?

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Some Outlet stock is orders cancelled while in production. Other stock is machines returned for any reason. Unless the Outlet machine is sold as "scratch and dent" then it should look like new. Your warranty will start from when it is shipped to you even though it may have been sent to someone previously.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.