Latitude E6410 vs E6420

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by dandv, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enterprise-peon

enterprise-peon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The term may better be described as "augments". DisplayPort will still be on the E6420, but not on the laptop itself, but thru the E series docking port. Both the PR02X and PR03X replicators will probably be sticking around. And those have ether one or two display port connectors.

This is the best of both worlds, you have Displayport for your DELL Flat Pannel on the replicator. And HDMI for any AV equipment you might run into on the laptop frame itself.

2. GKDesigns

GKDesigns Custom User Title

Reputations:
    Check... I was sticking to the E6420. Do they have PS/2, //, and -- ports on the docking station? :)

GK

3. enterprise-peon

enterprise-peon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The PR02X has PS/2 on it, the lite replicator PR03X does not.

4. pianowizard

pianowizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is a tough call. The E6420 is clearly better engineered and more durable, and the resolution is significantly better than the E6410's 1440x900. But the E6420 is also heavier, bulkier, and IMO uglier. I guess if price is really no concern, I would go for the E6420. However, the reality is the E6410 will become much cheaper once the E6420 comes out, so my choice would depend on how big the price difference is.

I wish Dell would do what Lenovo has done for the Thinkpads: In addition to a regular 14" T410, offer a lighter T410s.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Where did all the cheapo E6400 go? :(

I don't think the E6410 can drop anymore in price, take a look at Outlet. I had my base base E6410 for 458 shipped after a coupon, i3, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD which I easily put to 8 GB RAM and a 500 GB HDD. We won't see refurbished E6420 til at least 2-3 months after initial launch, and the price won't be that much from the new ones..

6. GKDesigns

GKDesigns Custom User Title

Reputations:
    Off topic? :)

GK

7. naveengrover

naveengrover Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks All for posting your experience.

I am looking to buy E6420 - my major requirement is processor power. Looking for laptop which can work as server for some presentations.

I am having couple of major issues if one can suggest - how much hot machine gets - can we work with this machine after keeping in Lap or it gets Hot enough that you can't do coding / debugging after keeping in Lap.

I am currently having Latitude D520, it has got older and not idle for server. Can someone suggest if it is fine to go with E6410-640M or E6420-2720QM has lot of difference as far as power is concerned.

The owner of E6410 (640M) - if you are working as developer with IBM RAD / RSA installed. Have you ever felt the need to upgrade to E6420 with better processor like 2720QM.

Thanks in advance.

8. on2

on2 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The consumerish looks of the E6420 is enough for me to want to keep my business looking E6410.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.