Latitude E6410/6510 Alps trackpad - verdict?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by shifuimam, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shifuimam

shifuimam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought an E6410 tonight, thanks to a 30% off coupon I found.

All of a sudden, however, I'm doubting my purchase - specifically because this machine uses an Alps touchpad, whereas the Vostro 3300 I was going to buy (before I found this coupon) uses a Synaptics touchpad.

The last time I had a machine with an Alps pad was in 2004 with my Latitude D600, and that thing sucked. I mean, it was an atrocious piece of hardware.

So what's the verdict on the hardware in the new E64x machines? Is it painful to use? I found a thread talking about using different OEM drivers to improve the responsiveness of the device - is this still necessary?

Just curious to see what current owners think about this. I still don't understand why Dell's been so dead-set on using Alps hardware since the D-series. My old C600 had a Synaptics trackpad, and I loved that thing.

2. welt

welt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hey, I think its "ok". It´s not great but you can use it. I`ve got a synaptics touchpad on my old inspiron 6400 - and they`re more or less the same in quality.

Nevertheless, don`t expect to much. When I do important things on the Laptop, I use my mouse. There is no way to get a better expierence. Sure there are people who say that MBPs have a real good touchpad. And this maybe is a better touchpad than the ones on all other Laptops I`ve used, but it still is only a touchpad.

To make a long story short: You won`t loe it, but you can use it. I think it wood be a good touchpad, if it would be bigger and the multi touch gestures would be more usefull then.

3. bradsh

bradsh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm in the same boat as you, but I had a Vostro 1400 (2007) with an ALPS as well. It had a tendency to go crazy and become useless but when it was working it worked perfectly.

What's really weird is that a family member of mine also bought an identical Vostro 1400 and she got a different screen and a synaptics touchpad. So it's possible that dell plays the lottery with touchpads too.

4. welt

welt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hm, I`ve to correct myself. At the Moment I`m a bit irritated, because sometimes the touchpad just goes crazy. Means I`m scrolling to the left and the mouse goes to the right. Or once it didn`t do anything.

It`s not reproducible, sometimes it does this stuff, most times it works normal. I activated/deactivated already Multitouchgestures and Touchcheck but that didn`t help...

5. HerrKaputt

HerrKaputt Elite Notebook User

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if this information helps, but on my E6400 (previous model), the Alps touchpad is pretty good. My previous laptop (Fujitsu S6120) has a great touchpad, better than this one, and I don't know whether it was Alps or Synaptics. Still, the main difference seems to be on the surface which was more rugged, not on the responsiveness itself which you can tweak anyway.

Oh, and the "rolling scrolling" as I call it is invaluable when working with huge spreadsheets.

6. Kandyman

Kandyman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had my E6410 for about 2 weeks now. The touchpad on the 6410 sometimes drives me nuts. I have tried playing around with the sensitivity using the software, but haven't found any setting that's been acceptable . I think I am getting better response with simply uninstalling the drivers. My old consumer-class Toshiba had a much better touchpad (synaptics).

I have several times considered returning the laptop - but what will I replace it with? A T410? Users in that forum complain about battery life....

7. jason1214

jason1214 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  8. shifuimam

shifuimam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, now that I've used my new E6410 for a bit, here's what I can say - traditional touchpad features (normal scrolling, tap to click, etc) are fine. I'm really glad that the ChiralMotion feature of the Synaptics touchpad on my Acer Aspire One is in the drivers; it's way better than traditional scrolling IMO.

However, the multitouch features are incredibly bad. I work with a MacBook Pro all day at my job, and I'm used to the very responsive multitouch for things like two-fingered scrolling and two-fingered swipe navigation (left to right). The only multitouch feature that I've found to work reliably with this Alps touchpad is the hide thing where you can cover the pad and have it minimize everything as a quick security feature.

I guess I can't expect this one to work as well - I'm sure Apple's got all kinds of patents and trademarks on their fancypants trackpad. Oh well. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.