Latitude 7370

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by acruxksa, Sep 14, 2016.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The extra 9 Whr makes a useful difference - potentially 1.5 to 2 hours depending on usage - but still falls short of all-day continuous usage. Also, it's good practice to avoid fully draining a Lithium battery so, for a given usage pattern, the higher capacity battery is going to wear more slowly. Note that you can also stretch the battery time a little by undervolting the CPU using Throttlestop which will also make a small improvement in performance under load by delaying the onset of the thermal trigger to stop the turbo mode.

John

2. jamus28

jamus28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi I'm considering the latitude 7370 but I'm confused about the weight.
    Dell states 2.48lbs, but some review sites mention 2.6 or 2.7 lbs. I want to get the FHD version with the 43whr battery. Do you know how much above base this is likely to weigh? Is it lighter or heavier than an xps 13?

3. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    That's my current configuration which weighs in at 1.166kg which is 2.57lbs (carbon fibre display back). Dell's weight will be with the smallest battery and possibly lacking some other parts - I can rarely relate the Dell weight to the notebook I receive. Based on the weights at notebookcheck (one of the few review sites which actually weighs notebooks as a matter of course rather than regurgitate the manufacturer's number) the XPS13 is slightly heavier but has a bigger battery.

Three benefits of the 7370 are (i) zero fan noise; (ii) more key travel; and (iii) lower rated and lighter PSU (it will run on a 3rd party 30W PSU). Features you want / don't want are worth more, in my opinion, than a notebook weight difference of less than 10% while bulky PSUs and their cables can make a big difference in overall portability.

John

alexhawker likes this.
  4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I bought that external powerbank and it arrived today. The 7370 had this to say about it:
    7370 Power Alert.jpg
    Which means that it will, as I expected, work with the powerbank. The powerbank claims to be 99.16Whr and weighs 0.46kg (1 lb). However, power conversion losses mean that won't all be usable. I tried running the 7370 from the powerbank and my Plugable USB-C power meter showed 19.6V with the current varying between about 0.4 and 0.6 Amps under light usage (ie 8w to 12W power drain) so it should be good for 8 hours running, maybe more. The computer thinks it's on mains power when running from the powerbank so automatic power saving is not enabled. I could customise a power problem to help address this problem. The alternative is to recharge the notebook battery but this increases the power conversion losses.

John