Latest VPC-Z1/330M Drivers for the BIOS Hack People

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ComputerCowboy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. BrunoPGomes

BrunoPGomes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Anytimer. Thank you for the ideas. They helped to ratify my thought process. I had already done all that (apart from doing a clean install). It is odd: I had forced the policy to prevent the driver being changed - and there is no evidence that the Nvidia driver was changed but the problem suddenly appeared.

I think my next step is to ghost off the old system space and do a clean install. Problem is the large number of programs and settings on this machine. If I'm going to spend the time on it, I need to find a way of getting them back without having to find the original media, licenses, etc. I know they aren't around anymore.

Has anybody found a program transfer utility which allows one to extract out and back to the same machine - and works? Laplink's product doesn't do it.

2. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know a tool which could do such a transfer. I've gone through this with my VAIO and it was a nightmare.

Therefore, before setting up the whole thing anew (if anyway on this old machine, and you said you are using it for presentations) I'd definitely try a Repair Install first. This keeps all your data, programs and even all the SONY stuff, but restores everything else to Windows default.
    If you're interested I'll refer you to more info (basically it means starting a Windows reinstall from an install medium within a running Windows)

Do a test clean install on a vhd if this doesn't work. But I doubt that the result would be any different.
    On the other hand if you test the clean install on a vhd and it works, so most probably the Repair install will work as well.
    Be sure to have a reliable backup before any of this...

3. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm a different kind of guy - I do a clean install every once in a while (say twice a year), which very effectively gets rid of the inevitable accumulated junk. I have the drivers and utilities arranged in sequentially numbered folders - just have to run down the list. I have the setup files and license details for all my programs saved on an external HDD. Most browsers will let you save bookmarks and the logins and passwords can also be saved. Takes me a couple of hours.

4. Juerg

Juerg Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome, NuShrike! many thanks for your help. Works a treat!:)