Latest VPC-Z1/330M Drivers for the BIOS Hack People

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ComputerCowboy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. slipknotme

slipknotme Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello. Just wanted to thank everyone for your great work! My Z is back in business!
    As a feedback, I've installed drivers 342.01 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits. Everything works great in STAMINA, but I noticed that in SPEED mode, the increments in brightness are HUGE! While in STAMINA it takes about 4/8 of the brightness bars to achieve a descent luminosity, in SPEED with only 1/8 its already bright enough! I found that is a problem at night. I tough it was the PWM setting was high, but it was the same as in STAMINA @200hz. So it maybe something related to the incremental steps.
    I'll be doing another test sometime in the future and post the feedback.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is a known issue with controlling brightness via the VAIOs fn keys in SPEED mode. All the solutions found in older answers here in the forum don't seem to work anymore.
    So I guess nowadays everybody are using the controls built into Windows instead, which also works fine for me.

I can confirm this problem must have something to do with the (processing of the) incremental steps which works for the Intel but not for the NVIDIA GPU.
    I am (on Windows 10) able to increase (not decrease!) brightness with the fn key, while it doesn't change in steps but rather continuously.

If you (or anyone) find a solution will be interesting to hear.

3. BrunoPGomes

BrunoPGomes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi folks. I thought I had this licked but something odd has reared its head. I completed the original bios patch and the graphics driver patch without any significant hitches. Soon after the Win10 Creator's Edition came out and my machine took the update. It seemed to be fine.
    However today, more than a month later, I switched to SPEED, rebooted, tried to project out of my HDMI port. An odd thing happened. The usual ding dong sound turned up confirming that it had found a device (I was intending to project Unfortunately it doesn't present data. Its not the projector.

So. I found an old restore point in May, went back to that and tried again. Same problem.
    So.... forming the impression that the NVIDIA driver has been either corrupted or updated, I downloaded CC's patch kit:
    - put it into test mode;
    - did not try to download a new copy of the driver (assumed my old folder was fine) - I could be wrong...
    - used my original NVIDIA folder (the one I used from the Win7 point)
    - applied the 3D patch;
    - launched the Nvidia installer from the panel - after a long pause it reported that it had removed the original settings and installation, but then.....as it completed the installation process it reported that none of the utilities or the driver had installed. Odd- thought I. I
    Then I remembered. Wasn't there a policy we had to force to prevent WIndows from trying to update the driver? Does anybody remember how to enable/undo that? I've searched for that guide but cannot find it.

So.
    - Is my suspicion right? Do I need to modify a policy to enable me to reinstall a patched driver?
    - Should I download the latest nvidia driver so that CC's patch can be applied? Is the link on the first post of this thread the right one?
    - Have I missed anything? How to get the Nvidia to install a replacement driver after applying CC's patch?
    As usual I'm on a deadline and need my laptop to be working by Saturday. Big presentation ahead.

4. BrunoPGomes

Reputations:
    Just tried again to install the driver using device manager directly. Its definitely a system policy that stops it being used. Help please?

5. galaxyge

Reputations:
    You probably activated the group policy to prevent installation of devices by hardware I'd.
    It does prevent you from installing drivers.. however Windows update simply ignores it, so I have removed it again permanently.

Call local group policy editor, gpedit.msc and look for Computer Configuration->Admistrative Templates->System->Device Installation->Device Installation restrictions.

Anything active here, you might just get rid of it.

And yes, it absolutely makes sense to use the opportunity to get yourself up to the latest drivers from NVIDIA.

When installing, don't forget to use Test mode or boot into startup option F7 unsigned driver mode.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  6. BrunoPGomes

Reputations:
    Thanks. Found the group policy, disabled it, did a safe mode deletion of the drivers and reinstalled. Used Rev 342 of the Nvidia drivers, but....
    I'm still stuck with not being able to output anything from the HDMI port. Don't understand it. The laptop recognises that something is plugged in and seems to be aware of what the projector's resolution limits, but somehow it isnt delivering audio or video to the projector. The projector isn't at fault.
    Any suggestions on how I could by a simple set of tests prove which bit is at fault:
    a) The HDMI daughter board
    b) The drivers.
    c) Something I havent thought of?

Some good thinking would be gratefully received.
    (Edit. Paloseco's posts in 2016 suggest that there were problems with some of the Nvdiia drivers, even with CC's patches, leading to partial HDMI port failure - I wonder Paloesco, CC, others - did anybody find the final fix?)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  7. galaxyge

Reputations:
    Are the other key functions, like volume up down, cd eject etc. working?
    first thing that comes to my mind would be try uninstall - > reboot - > reinstall VAIO Event Services - > reboot.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

8. BrunoPGomes

Reputations:
    Hi galaxyge. I've tried that,
    • the function keys work;
    • Event Utilities were reinstalled along with the sony library;
    • replaced the daughter board with one I know works - problem does not go away (so it must be a software problem - right?)
    • deleted the 342 revisinn driver and installed at 341.74 using CC's 4.8 patch app (he said he had tested it on 341.74);
    • did it by the book, even turned off wireless and networking to ensure that nothing could update the driver without my agreement'
    So it should work (given I got this to work 6 months ago) right? Nope. nothing comes out the HMDI port.
    • Device manager definitely reports the Nvidia driver being present. However the device manager is not picking up the name and model of the projector - it used to do that. So I can only conclude that the HDMI communications are tripping. The main screen restructures as though the machine knows it is dealing with a lower resolution when I ask it to duplicate screens. But no video on the projector.
    • That same projector works with every other laptop I have.
    Only remotely related factor - I found that MS updated the Intel driver for the base GPU in May 2017. Is it possible that the base GPU driver has a passive switch which allows the Nvidia driver to take over the HDMI channel? Does anybody have a working copy of the intel driver from a VPCZ13 with HDMI working on Win 10 which they could upload for me to force onto my machine?

@ComputerCowboy are you still alive and kicking?

Any other ideas folks?

9. galaxyge

Reputations:
    you need to rule out it's not an issue with the projector's driver. Have you tried sending signal to any other HDMI device like a monitor or tv?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

10. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try projecting the desktop - not the output of some media player. HDMI won't project protected video unless it is sure that there is no unauthorised recording device downstream. Extend your desktop and choose a resolution and display rate for the projector that is actually supported by the projector. If you are using the clone mode, the laptop will try to put out 1600 x 900, which the projector might not like.

Have you cleaned the stuff left over from previous drivers? Install the Intel driver first (in stamina mode) and then switch to speed mode, reboot, and install the nvidia driver.

Can you try doing a clean install? Do it on a VHD to avoid nuking your current setup if you don't fancy reinstalling everything.