Latest VPC-Z1/330M Drivers for the BIOS Hack People

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ComputerCowboy, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timwjohn

timwjohn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice, this is exciting news. Did you need to run them in compatibility mode @rahuldel? How about VAIO software such as Smart Network, Control Center, Event Service, Power Management? How many of these are necessary for full VAIO functionality do you think?

2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I finally got around to doing this BIOS HACK thing - although I am still on hybrid drivers with VGA switching mode set to dynamic - but now I have a problem. The laptop shuts down (overheating?) when I boot up with the switch set to auto or speed. :( I have to start up in stamina mode, and then I can switch to speed, no problems, but I think I should fix this before setting VGA switching mode to static. Any ideas, guys?

3. timwjohn

Reputations:
    @anytimer, get Open Hardware Monitor to see your chip temperatures. There'll be a sensor for each CPU core (which share a heatsink surface with the Intel GPU) and the NVIDIA chip. If temps go over 100 degrees then you're in shutdown territory. Find out which it is that's overheating (if indeed that is the case).

My 5 year old VAIO started to overheat and shutdown when the CPU paste perished, though the GPU has a special thermal pad to bridge the (roughly 0.4mm) extra gap between the chip surface and the heatsink - some have reported that their GPU pads had perished too. I (foolishly) replaced my GPU pad with a Phobya thermal pad first time round, which had nowhere near the thermal conductivity required to keep the GPU cool. Therefore I, like everybody else, needed to order a copper shim to bridge the gap and used the PC in stamina mode until it turned up.

Check out this thread for more info. I also still have spare shims if you need one.

anytimer likes this.
  4. anytimer

Reputations:
    Done all the above. I clean and repaste every few months - there's a lot of dust in India. Can't tell what's overheating - the laptop will shut down before it finishes booting. It was fine before the BIOS hack, so I need to look at all the BIOS settings too, in case I messed up somewhere.
    I'll run a stress test to see if I can figure this out.
    Nice of you to offer the shim, but the shipping charges to India will be prohibitive. I'm good with tools - I'll buy copper sheet and make my own. My original GPU thermal pad is still more or less intact, but after several repaste jobs it is showing signs of wear and tear.

5. timwjohn

Reputations:
    I see, that is odd. So switching to speed after booting in stamina works OK. I wonder if the bootup process is causing a lot of stress on one of the chips. I have noticed sometimes that being in the BIOS settings screen can cause the fan to slowly accelerate to full speed, indicating something is heating up - but only sometimes.

Fair enough! I didn't know where you were located, but you're probably right!

6. rahuldel

rahuldel Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I did an upgrade to my OS to Windows 10, patched my Bios and then installed the patched drivers which worked fine.
    I have not gone through and checked the other Vaio softwares, will need to look into them and see if they are running fine.

Also I was not able to update the Intel Display Drivers, is there any possibility to install the latest Intel Display Drivers?

But am very happy with the latest Nvidia Drivers and Windows 10 it has kind of given a new life to the laptop.:)

timwjohn likes this.
  7. anytimer

Reputations:
    Has no one tried a clean install of Windows 10?

8. katanka

katanka Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I tried, no issues at all

anytimer and timwjohn like this.
  9. Mesenzio

Mesenzio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks! Greatly apperciated!

10. Splitlog

Splitlog Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I've just updated my Z to the RTM 10240 windows 10. Everything went fine except for the 330M....
    I was running windows 7 with the bios hacked, i had the 341.44 running smoothly. I've made several improvements on my Z : upgrade to 1080 display, upgrade the wifi card to intel 7260 with bluetooth 4.0 (instead of 6200), removed optical drive and installed a 1TB HD.
    I got to say i've been a little surprised to see that nobody had any issues upgrading to win10 according to the fact that nvidia has provided a driver that doesn't support the 330M yet. I tried to hack the 341.44 that i had before and the new 352.63. The hack went good each time but i couldn't go through the install for any of those. I can now only run stamina mode.
    Any idea ?
    How did you do that ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.