Latest VPC-Z1/330M Drivers for the BIOS Hack People

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ComputerCowboy, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. ComputerCowboy

ComputerCowboy Sony Fanboy

Reputations:
    Yea, I realized that when I started tearing it down. I should be able to use bits of the INF files from the Windows 7/8 drivers and merge them into the Windows 10 BETA.

In the future I don't think it will be an issue because nVidia generally covers a very wide range of hardware in their releases. I imagine as time goes on they will add legacy hardware to the Windows 10 driver package.

3. anytimer

Reputations:
    Could someone confirm that after applying the BIOS hack I can still use the hybrid drivers (Andrew08) by setting the switching mode to 'auto' in the BIOS? Sometimes I have a lot of working windows open and it is not convenient to close them all, reboot, and then reopen them the way they were.

4. Mesenzio

Mesenzio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Personally I never tried but it should work. However, since the drivers are different you will not be able to use the latest nvidia drivers.

That's good news, thank you!

anytimer likes this.
  5. ComputerCowboy

ComputerCowboy Sony Fanboy

Reputations:
    Y
    Yes... that'll work

anytimer likes this.
  6. anytimer

Reputations:
    Thanks, Mesenzio and ComputerCowboy. :)

7. timwjohn

timwjohn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey CC,

A bit thank you for this. My VPCZ12M9E is now better then ever. On Windows 7 x64 I have the latest NVIDIA driver (341.44 with 3D patch) running with brightness control, HDMI out running great. Also, my Intel HD running with VGA out working for that too (so the VGA port isn't rendered useless should I need it). I'm actually finding an improvement on the Intel HD in Stamina as I was getting HTML5 video stuttering with the hybrid driver).

There is one issue with the BIOS hack that has led to my dual SSD RAID to run slower than before, but I will post about that in the other thread.

One piece of advice I have is not to install the latest Intel HD driver via Intel's Driver Update Utility as it seems to install one for 2nd gen core processors onwards, and although it worked in Stamina mode, when I switched to Speed it was showing the 330M as a Standard VGA Adapter at low resolution with no HDMI. I cleaned the drivers and reinstalled the Intel HD, this time via Windows Device Manager - and it worked. I now have static switching running fine for both GPUs.

CC, what do you make of what Sony has written here? Do you see this as a problem, or should we be able to install third party drivers separately as they become available?

8. Mesenzio

Mesenzio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ComputerCowboy mentioned that the Nvidia drivers should work on Windows 10. However I was wondering about the specific Vaio software, such as battery care and the like.

9. anytimer

Reputations:
    I expect we'll be able to install them in compatibility mode, like we do now for Windows 8 and 8.1. Some of them will need to be installed with admin privileges as well. And don't forget that some of the Sony utilities which have updates will need the original version installed first, and then the updated version installed over it. All in all, a bit of a mess, but I suppose we should be able to muddle through.

I'll be installing Windows 10 later this week. If no one beats me to it, I'll put up a step by step guide.

timwjohn likes this.
  10. rahuldel

rahuldel Newbie

Reputations:
    I have installed the drivers on the latest Windows 10 deemed RTM 240 release and they seem to be working fine.

Thanks developers.

anytimer and timwjohn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.